Scuba Fest in December ... worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eab

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I managed to get my hands on the upcoming Scuba Fest program for December. Curious if anyone was there last year, and if it's worth it for someone who speaks Spanish at a very slow pace. :)

Thanks!

Eileen

Attachments

• SCUBAFEST 2013 PROGRAM EN.pdf
    645.5 KB · Views: 114
I'm tentatively planning on being in Cozumel December 9-16, and some of the events on the Brochure look intriguing - I wouldn't mind catching a couple of the lectures and programs, and I'm really curious about the Taste of Cozumel - what is that? Are booths set up somewhere, like on the Plaza, where I can sample foods from different restaurants? I can't seem to find any details in the brochure, and, since I don't read spanish, the website I found is completely unhelpful. Where can I find more detailed info?

..... I can't seem to find any details in the brochure, and.... the website I found is completely unhelpful. Where can I find more detailed info?

I was here last year and your quote was my take on the whole event. Information was not available with any dive op I checked, and though I saw some stuff as it was happening, I could not seem to find out more. I have hopes that this year will be better publicized!

Diver's Week, that just ended, had more information available. There were several enjoyable events. I wish I'd attended even more of them!

Is this the website you visited?

Taste of Cozumel | Cozumel Scuba Fest

Looks like most of the events are either in or in front of the Museum. The website isn't completely useless... although it is in Spanish only.

eab, I'd say if you're around and you find the topics interesting, don't let limited spanish prevent you from attending. There are often slides as well, so you can read (which many people do better than speaking, at first) and it's a great way to practice listening!

kari

Ah, Kari! So I should ask YOU next time. Thanks!

The problem with so many of these events is that they ARE so POORLY publicized. I wasn't aware of Divers Week until the day before it started!

If you happen to be here, attend the events that interest you - if you are asking if it's worth making a special trip for - I would unfortunately have to say no. Based on my experience over the past 11 years - none of these events are big deals.

I'm tentatively planning on being in Cozumel December 9-16, and some of the events on the Brochure look intriguing - I wouldn't mind catching a couple of the lectures and programs, and I'm really curious about the Taste of Cozumel - what is that? Are booths set up somewhere, like on the Plaza, where I can sample foods from different restaurants? I can't seem to find any details in the brochure, and, since I don't read spanish, the website I found is completely unhelpful. Where can I find more detailed info?

For DJDiverDan, here's what I know or think I know for sure ....
tasteofcozumel@cozumelfest.com for all questions related to the Taste of Cozumel part of the festival.

Each day of the festival, starting at 4pm and running until (I think) 9pm, there are small booths set up with samples of various Mexican dishes. I read that one has lionfish to taste, but I cannot recall if that was last year, this year, or both. I would think that the booths are manned by local restaurants as this is supposed to be a get to know Cozumel kind of event.

For all .... The majority of the events take place in the museum, in front of the museum, or in the main square starting at 4pm. Diving starts at 8am, and there is a schedule of dive sites that people are trying to hit -- the New Mayan Meso American reef Route. This consists of Paradise, Chankanaab, Tormentos, Yucab, Santa Rosa, Paso del Cedral, Palencar Gardens, Palencar Caves, Columbia, and Punta Sur. One of these is a night dive. I think that there is a certificate for anyone who dives them all during the festival. My Spanish isn't that fantastic, but that's what I'm getting out of the English version of the program attached in the first message of this thread.

Last year there was a lion fish catch competition of some kind. I don't see it this year. There was a photo contest last year, and there's another this year. Wildlife, above, and below water seem to be the themes.

Additionally there are vendor booths -- I'm guessing the typical PADI, DAN, GoPro, ProDive, Scubpro, Bare, Sherwood, and such, and lectures. It seems from the program that there are 2-3 per night, and each is an hour long. I don't see all the topics completed, but there's a biologist, some photography ones, and Jeal-Michel Cousteau.

Bottom line .. the website, although in Spanish, does have a "Contact Us" page and you can submit questions. I may give it a try and see what comes back.

Hope that helps. I'm still on the fence about the worth. :-(

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I'd like to find out more about both the diving tour and the Taste of Cozumel -- are tickets required? How much? Or is it pay as you go at the various booths? Dallas has an annual "Taste of Dallas" event, where all of the booths are operated by local restaurants and all have little appetizer-sized portions of one or two specialty dishes at low prices - anywhere from $2.00 to $5.00 - and that's a lot of fun to wander around and taste new foods you might not otherwise try. If the Taste of Cozumel has a similar setup, that might be an attractive alternative to dinner at a restaurant one night. How about registration for the diving tour -- is that at participating Dive ops? Again, how much? This would be a whole lot easier if the Brochure gave all the relevant info.

This would be a whole lot easier if the Brochure gave all the relevant info.

I agree. It's taken some effort to get what I know so far, but I'll keep plugging away. Maybe one long questionnaire to an @cozumelfest.com will be in order.

Eileen

Hello everyone! Cozumel Scuba Fest 2013 is confirmed.
December 12th to 15th, 2013.
Check the web page for more information and details: ¡Bienvenido! | Cozumel Scuba Fest in spanish, english and french
Contact your favorite dive shop to sign up and check the program :)
$325.00 9 dives into the JM Cousteau Route

Here is the list of confirmed Dive Operators signed to Scuba Fest to date:
Aldora Divers
Aquatic Sports Sergio Sandoval
AquaWorld
Aqua Safari
Del Mar Aquatics
Diving Adventures
Dive Paradise
Pepe Scuba
Sandollar Sports
Scuba Du