Scuba fees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orion612004

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I keep hearing rumors that NY has created a fee schedule/ permit for diving. Has anyone else heard about this? I can't find anything online but I guess Long Island was talking about it in regards to diving in parks

I've heard the same thing. Supposedly you're not allowed to do local beach diving unless you have a permit now. I've actually seen dive clubs posting about this recently.

Do New Yorkers have to have a permit to lay out on the beech? How about a jog in a park?
Has anybody else heard of this anywhere else? I suppose we pay a fee to dive in a marine park...

New York taxes everything! That is why so many New Yorkers are moving to South Florida. Unfortunately most people don't learn the lesson and will vote the same type of idiots into office down here and we will end up being taxed for everything also! This is our county budget for fy 2020 - 5,187,741,528 yes that is over 5 billion dollars, up over 400 million from last year! 700 million of that goes to the Sheriff's office alone. It will probably double over the next 10 years due to all of the transplants from the North East!

i Have no problem paying to dive, drive, park having restrooms etc.

I'm from upstate NY, haven't heard anything about this. I think this is very unlikely to be true. Possibly a NYC thing as they can have their own regulations as it's a different world down there compared to the mountains and lakes up here. Water temp up here is 46 degrees

You need a permit for most things like fishing, town beaches, etc., why not diving?
I have never heard of a permit for beaches but I guess some places may have private beaches and if they charge a fee they better provide lifeguards , restrooms and maybe chairs. Fishing and hunting licenses go towards wild life management which is important for sustainability. I have heard of wheel tax - helps maintaining roads. If municipality imposes a taxation/permit fee on the activity - they need to provide a service. If it goes towards maintaining a reef or marine life conservation- the. I am all for it. However, if they tax you for “using a beach” to get in the water I would have a problem with it. But I am not in NYC. There are a number of taxations there that don’t quite make sense to me, like paying for a mechanic to put a sticker on your car yearly to say that your car is ok... I think it a common practice over there. I maybe wrong. Or tolls to cross a bridge... isn’t what the state or federal taxes are for?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom