Scuba Etiquette: Tipping?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cvchief

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Whats the deal on tipping? We are in Coz with a GREAT diver operator, small groups. Mostly just her and her captain on the boat with 5-6 divers, sometimes an extra DM. Nicest Dive boat I have seen in Coz. What is a "good" tip? Do I give it to her to share it out or her and the captain seperately? "We" are usually 4 divers and we are with her 5 days? (I'll post a report later.)

Help?

Rick (the new diver-> :dork2:)

I usually tip $5 per tank to the DM who will share with the crew. That's $20 per day for me and my wife. I'll throw in an extra $5 for service above & beyond.

Great idea for a new thread.

Been wondering about this myself for years, too. Surprised it hadn't been discussed here before.

I always thought when you talked about DM Tipping, it was at night when they were asleep, like we did back in Nebraska with the cows.

I'll just hang up and listen for the answer. :popcorn:

Whats the deal on tipping? We are in Coz with a GREAT diver operator, small groups. Mostly just her and her captain on the boat with 5-6 divers, sometimes an extra DM. Nicest Dive boat I have seen in Coz. What is a "good" tip? Do I give it to her to share it out or her and the captain seperately? "We" are usually 4 divers and we are with her 5 days? (I'll post a report later.)

Help?

Rick (the new diver-> :dork2:)

Welcome to the board cvchief. awap has it right. So what charter are you with? Enjoy and don't forget that report when you return :)

Great idea for a new thread.

Been wondering about this myself for years, too. Surprised it hadn't been discussed here before.

I always thought when you talked about DM Tipping, it was at night when they were asleep, like we did back in Nebraska with the cows.

I'll just hang up and listen for the answer. :popcorn:

Such a Curmudgeon :winky::wink1:

$5.00 per tank per day but if your impressed then do $10.00 per tank per day.

$5.00 per tank per day but if your impressed then do $10.00 per tank per day.

$5/tank per person would be a "bare minimum" tip in my mind. Keep in mind that boat DM's typically work exclusively for tips. (Just a statement of fact, no need to rehash the debate over whether that's how it should be.)

:hijackedthread:

OK, a bit of a twist in the orignal posters question, but what about tipping DM's who assist in-water with a class thru a LDS??

I think 10% of the charter per person is a good minimum, with 20% at the upper end.

:hijackedthread:

OK, a bit of a twist in the orignal posters question, but what about tipping DM's who assist in-water with a class thru a LDS??

Hey Steve, I talked to the instructor about this when I did my AOW/Drysuit class and was told that the DM's are not expecting it but would probably appreciate it. They are working for free with the classes. They get into the quarry at no charge and get their tanks filled by the shop for free (I think). She said that they are there because they love it and want to help but that I am under no obligation to tip them. I ended up doing $5 per dive since I had a great time. I felt good about giving the tip, he was surprised and it all worked out. Plus he was a big help while I had a small equipment malfunction (operator error) on my first dive out on Day 1.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom