Scuba Diving Your House!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have their house decorated in Scuba Diving decor? Does anyone have any ideas for decorations? Also, does anyone have any pictures of their house that might be already decorated in scuba diving? If so, please post them here.

I'm taking an old dive take and making a mailbox out of it. My wife and I were thinking about decorating the outside in an ocean theme. Using wood poles in the ground and large rope, and other items to decorate our outside in an Ocean/Scuba Diving theme. It would be nice to make an entire wall into a saltwater tank. I mean form floor to ceiling. Come on guys and gals, put your ideas here...... :D

murphdivers286:
Does anyone have their house decorated in Scuba Diving decor? Does anyone have any ideas for decorations? Also, does anyone have any pictures of their house that might be already decorated in scuba diving? If so, please post them here.

I'm taking an old dive take and making a mailbox out of it. My wife and I were thinking about decorating the outside in an ocean theme. Using wood poles in the ground and large rope, and other items to decorate our outside in an Ocean/Scuba Diving theme. It would be nice to make an entire wall into a saltwater tank. I mean form floor to ceiling. Come on guys and gals, put your ideas here...... :D

You could put some whale poop on the floor.

Captpot

If you have an old AL80, cut the neck off right below where it curves over, put a hinge on it and an internal latch, and you've got yourself a handy and hefty mailbox...just pull on the valve to open.

As for the aquarium.....just make a huge covered saltwater pool with a window into your basement, stock it with all gobs of fish and you can take a mini diving vacation in your own back yard.

Thanks for the input. I would like to know if anyone has any other ideas for making your house into a....well, let's say a scuba diving art piece....:lol2:

I read this thread title and thought that Hurricane Katrina flooded your house.

"I don't need a reel; I know this wreck better than my own home!"

murphdivers286:

One thing that I'm going to do as soon as my 1980's AL80 doesn't pass hydro or vis is cut it in half lengthwise and hang the half on the wall, so that it looks like the tank is in the wall. Dunno why, but I've really been wanting to do that. Only problem is that the tank shows no signs of age, other than chipped paint.

You mentioned doing a saltwater wall tank. Be careful. Very careful. Seawater weighs ~64lbs/cu.ft. For a wall tank, say, 8 ft high, 12 ft long, 3 ft thick, that's 288 cubic feet, that comes to 18,342 pounds, spread over 36 sq ft, giving you 512 lbs/sq ft on your foundation. Make sure your concrete can handle that. If it's at the edge of your foundation, that's another consideration. I suggest calling some sort of structural engineer to sign off on it.

Also, consider your filtration system will need turn the *entire* tank over about every 6-10 minutes. 288 cubic feet comes to 2154 gallons, so you'll need a 12,000 gph pump connected to your wet/dry sump system, which will pretty much need a room of it's own. You'll need some pretty hefty protien skimmers also. Water changes, staying on top of your water chemistry, ORP, pH, etc.

Also, think about selling your house. Will potential buyers want a giant wall tank? :11:

Expect to do at least 3-4 hours of very nasty maintenance per week. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, just that it will probably be a bit more than you bargained for.

If you want a really big, cool aquarium, I would suggest a 240-300 gal freshwater tank with african cichlids. You won't need a skimmer, you can use one or two big canister filters instead of a wet/dry, most dechlorinated tap water is perfect for them (at least here in texas for the Malawi variety), and the fish are absolutely stunning, and very interesting to watch. Just pile a bunch of rocks in the tank, and light it with metal halides. Beautiful!

--'Goose

My house was submerged in a river, does that count? It would be neat to have it like that all the time, I could swim to bed. :)

Back
Top Bottom