Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EVMarketing

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
What do the highest point in the Netherlands, the shortest runway in the world, and the 1933 film King Kong have in common? They all originate on the Caribbean island of Saba!

CEXII-Boat-3.jpg

Saba is a tiny island full of big adventures. A special municipality of the Netherlands, it’s a unique hybrid of old Caribbean culture, modern amenities, and lush mountainous terrain. Covering only 13 square kilometers, the island towers dramatically over deep blue seas with a volcanic peak defining its center. As steeply as Saba's peak thrusts skyward, its cliffs plunge into the ocean, often reaching depths of more than 1000ft only half-mile from shore. Protected as a marine park for over 32 years – since the very month that the original Caribbean Explorer first arrived - diving here is extraordinary with spectacular views above and below the waterline.

Due to the jaggedness of the coastal zone, there are no beaches or shore diving. Accessing the Saba Marine Park must be done by boat, and Caribbean Explorer II is the only liveaboard to reside here. Hopping on board with the Explorer Ventures Fleet is the best option for avid divers who like to maximize their bottom time, as up to 5 dives are offered daily. Plus, divers and non-divers can adventure ashore on optional land tours throughout their holiday. If you’ve never heard of Saba (or Caribbean Explorer II), you’d better put them on your must-do list!

Read the article here...

I have dove here!!

We did the Pinnacles on one two-tank dive day, which was fantastic. First dive was a descent without a reference into the deep blue...and onto a rocky peak at 90fsw...lots of coral, a shark, and a real thrill. Second dive was on a similar site, but the bottom was sandy at about 100fsw and rocky walls to explore.

The next day, I did a three tank dive day on the super long coral reef. It was a mile or so long, fairly shallow [max of about 60fsw] and it had all kinds of life: 6' tarpon, sea turtles, coral, crabs, stingrays, etc. A gale force wind came up [this was when tropical storm Irene came through in Aug 2011] and or boat captain was able to mitigate it, we did a dive, and all was well.

The down of Windward Side on Saba had excellent eating, lots of history, and lots of green jungle like foliage...what a magical place! We were there for 4 days, 3 nights on our honeymoon...did a week in St. Maartin [Dutch side], 4 days in Saba, and a week in St. Martin [the French side].

I have dove here!!

We did the Pinnacles on one two-tank dive day, which was fantastic. First dive was a descent without a reference into the deep blue...and onto a rocky peak at 90fsw...lots of coral, a shark, and a real thrill. Second dive was on a similar site, but the bottom was sandy at about 100fsw and rocky walls to explore.

The next day, I did a three tank dive day on the super long coral reef. It was a mile or so long, fairly shallow [max of about 60fsw] and it had all kinds of life: 6' tarpon, sea turtles, coral, crabs, stingrays, etc. A gale force wind came up [this was when tropical storm Irene came through in Aug 2011] and or boat captain was able to mitigate it, we did a dive, and all was well.

The down of Windward Side on Saba had excellent eating, lots of history, and lots of green jungle like foliage...what a magical place! We were there for 4 days, 3 nights on our honeymoon...did a week in St. Maartin [Dutch side], 4 days in Saba, and a week in St. Martin [the French side].

That sounds like an incredible trip! You're one of the lucky ones, who knows about Saba and has had the chance to dive there. Many great sites, and lots of life. Do let us know if you're interested in diving Saba again soon!

I'm hoping just enough people know about it to keep it active - I dove there years ago and hope to take my boys back there someday. Wonderful island, wonderful people, wonderful diving. With the smallest international runway it's a fun flight in and out! Due to the pinnacles and the sharks seeming to always show up at the end of the dive, it was probably the trip where my computer yelled at me the most for NDL - had to stay and watch the sharks go by. The hike up mt scenery was also a nice side trip (did that twice the week I was there).

I'm hoping just enough people know about it to keep it active - I dove there years ago and hope to take my boys back there someday. Wonderful island, wonderful people, wonderful diving. With the smallest international runway it's a fun flight in and out! Due to the pinnacles and the sharks seeming to always show up at the end of the dive, it was probably the trip where my computer yelled at me the most for NDL - had to stay and watch the sharks go by. The hike up mt scenery was also a nice side trip (did that twice the week I was there).
It's true, due to the sheer slopes of the volcano (above and below) most of the dive sites start at 50/60ft. Makes for some incredible diving though with all the underwater pinnacles. And, as there are no beaches, corals are vibrant and many different kinds of animal life is attracted to Saba. Lucky for us divers! Glad to hear you will take your boys back there one day. It's one of those islands you remember for a lifetime.

I got my first distant view of Saba on a EV Caribbean Explorer trip, which unfortunately got aborted by a hurricane which we weathered out in the bars of St Martin, then went home. Went back a couple of years ago with a group and spent a week at Queen's Gardens, diving with Sea Saba. Delightful...all of it. Great island with great people and great diving. Highly recommended.

I keep telling people to explore Saba, the least destroyed reef in the Caribbean in my opinion, the diving was great and the ride to the boat was always exciting.

Saba the island with 4+ goats to every person

I got my first distant view of Saba on a EV Caribbean Explorer trip, which unfortunately got aborted by a hurricane which we weathered out in the bars of St Martin, then went home. Went back a couple of years ago with a group and spent a week at Queen's Gardens, diving with Sea Saba. Delightful...all of it. Great island with great people and great diving. Highly recommended.

Sorry to hear that you were turned around. But we're glad to hear you were able to make it eventually. It's an island that can be difficult to dive due to currents during tropical storms - but well worth the visit. Great people, and great diving as you mentioned. Thanks for commenting!

Back
Top Bottom