Scuba diving on Zanzibar (4K)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matthias Hoeller

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I'd like to share a scuba diving video from Zanzibar in the Indian ocean, from where we just returned. We went for a few boat trips with Diving Poseidon who we can gladly recommend, and visited Mnemba reef, Tumbatu island, and a few more diving spots close to Nungwi. Visibility can vary depending on the tidal flow, but the water is always warm and every dive you encounter something new :) BTW - the girl touching the moray eel with her finger was not one of us, she was another tourist participating in the same dive group. Please, do not touch or harass marine life!

Most of the footage was filmed with a GoPro Hero 6 black on a tray; but after this trip I will probably upgrade to a GoPro Hero 8 due to its vastly improved image stabilization (usage of a gimbal under water is, after all, somewhat impractical :)).

I had the GoPro mounted on a dedicated tray (underwater weight, including GoPro and video lights, about 700-800 grams) which I tried to make neutrally buoyant with some cheap plastic floats I had tied to it, but that was just frustrating and they weren't even watertight at depth. So I just ordered some proper dedicated underwater camera floating elements with ball mounts to replace these in the future.

I lighted the scenes with two cheap no-name video lights from China which are really great value (about 100€ each). I don't really trust in their nominal output value of 10000 lumens, but they are still decently bright (I guess they have something between 700-3000 lumens in reality, each) and very solid build quality.

My wife had a second GoPro Hero 4 mounted on a selfie stick for some additional footage, I guess that's where my current Hero 6 will end up once I get the Hero 6

Music: Ukulele by http://www.bensound.com

Hey, you saw lots of great fish and critters! The corals look good in your video. Do you think they are healthy?

While I'm no coral expert or anything, to my layman's eyes they looked surprisingly healthy. Very different to the Seychelles for example, where there is a lot of dead corals due to bleaching...

Very nice dive videos.. and I LOVE watching in 4k. Thanks for sharing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom