Scuba Diving Central Indiana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mndiv

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

For most of this coming summer I will be doing an internship with a company located in Columbus, Indiana. I am from the Twin Cities and am currently a student at UW Madison so I've done my fair share of diving throughout the midwest. From what I can see on Google Maps the closest dive shop to Columbus is about an hour away, does anyone know of any reasonably close places to dive during a weekend? I'll dive in a backyard pond if thats all there is, I'd just like to blow some bubbles during the three months I'll be working there.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Is a three hour drive too far if you get to dive shipwrecks in Lake Michigan? I am thinking Hammond, IN. This would not be an after-work sorta trip, but you could definitely make a Saturday of an afternoon dive (and even sleep in a bit). These guys allow you to book individual seats on their charters:

Home - Double Action Dive Charters

There are definitely local sites for you to dive south of Indianapolis- just find any lake (and bring a dive flag). It's just that it will be hard to find a buddy and a compressor. I know it's expensive if you're in college, but you may consider getting (or already have) the following:

1.) Your own gear if you don't have it.
2.) Your own tanks and/or more tanks. (Hint: buy used, but buy under current hydro and don't buy Aluminum tanks more than ~10 years old). If your dive site is closer than the dive shop, it's nice to be able to fill four or even six tanks at the same time, and spend more time underwater than you do driving to get fills.
3.) A solo cert and a dive flag (requires 100 logged dives)

In terms of dive shops, I'm aware of Divers Supply Indy which is 50 minutes from you. I also found another dive shop which looks like it's 35 minutes:

Indy Scuba - Indy Dive Center
Home - Bottoms Up Scuba Indy

Best of luck with your internship and maybe I will see you out on Lake Michigan.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom