Scuba diver labelled 'a hero' for removing fish netting from jaws of distressed shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's not a nurse shark. I don't exactly know which shark is it, but definitely not a nurse shark.

That's not a nurse shark. I don't exactly know which shark is it, but definitely not a nurse shark.

A Grey Nurse shark is also known as a Sand Tiger Shark. Not what you typically think of when some one says "Nurse Shark"

That really did make me feel good. As diving becomes more divisive and focused on individual prowess of skill, it's wonderful to have a reminder of what a "good" diver really is. Thanks for posting.

Looked like a fresh chum bag to me, complete with line to tie it off. Still had some chum in it. Shark feeding dive?
Shark feeders typically don't use a chum bag for a number of reasons, not the least of which is when the shark wants it, and it's tied to you, you go too. Shark feeders typically use a metal box. Heavy enough to stay in one place, light enough to carry back and forth, and big enough to not attach it to you. I used milk crates with a milk crate lid.

Shark feeders typically don't use a chum bag for a number of reasons, not the least of which is when the shark wants it, and it's tied to you, you go too. Shark feeders typically use a metal box. Heavy enough to stay in one place, light enough to carry back and forth, and big enough to not attach it to you. I used milk crates with a milk crate lid.

I don't doubt professional shark feeders use metal boxes. It's possible the shark snatched the chum bag off a boat or a fisherman dropped it and they truly did help the shark, OR they did an amateur shark feeding dive and that shark got the bag from them. If nothing else, I'm not sure the story is 100% accurate, as it doesn't appear to be a fishing net.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom