Scuba Diver Dragged 300 feet Underwater by Tuna

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muha

Registered
Reaction score
Philippine Coast Guard

Monday, 25 October 2010 09:42

Coast Guard District South Eastern Mindanao reported that on 231745H October 2010, a certain Mr Ramir Te, while on fishing expedition with scuba gears at waters off Kiamba, Saranggani, was accidentally pulled underwater by a tuna at about 300 feet depth. Said person war airlifted to Cagayan de Oro on 24 October 2010 by Philippine Air Force Helicopter accompanied by a hyperbaric doctor named Dr Jess Ramos. They sought assistance for the patient for recompression chamber treatment aboard Coast Guard SAR Vessel BRP SAN JUAN (SARV 001). Patient will be transported on board a commercial vessel for Cebu anytime on 25 October 2010. Coast Guard hyperbaric doctor CDR ERIC GUIEB will accompany and treat the patient upon arrival on board SARV 001.

I'd heard of people drowning by spearing a Goliath Grouper with the line tied to their wrist but never a tuna. Always something new.

A guy told me about a spearfisherman in mobile, al that speared a barracuda and then got tied to an oil rig piling by the fish. Fish still attached when body was recovered.

It's not clear that he was spearfishing? If he was, dumb to shoot a fish big enough to do that - but I guess there are other possibilities. The other thread is into joking too much to follow.

Nature fighting back. Lovely!

Its not the first time. Another diver died in Kiamba, Saranggani a few years back when he shot a tuna on his ascent. The gun was tied to his wrist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom