Scuba.com: attempted scam?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cosmographer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A few weeks ago, I received my dive computer from Scuba.com. It was shipped to me in Hong Kong. This being my second Oceanic computer purchase from Scuba.com, I was surprised to find the computer already turned on. From my previous purchase, I knew that Oceanics come in deep-sleep mode that requires 2 buttons to be held to activate. After checking out the computer, it became obvious that this unit was defective.

I exchanged it for another one which was indeed in deep sleep mode, confirming my suspicion that the previous computer was not 100% new. When I mentioned this to the rep, he told me that the computer probably got activated during the bustle of shipping and delivery. This of course is total BS. What he suggests would be practically impossible, and I'm a bit offended that he thought I was that stupid.

I suspect that they initially sold me an opened-box item which was returned due to defects. I suspect and hope Scuba.com was not made aware of the defects and thus thought it was ok to sell it to me under the guise of "new", figuring that even if I realized it was opened-box, I couldn't be bothered to ship it back from Hong Kong.

Up until now, I've been going to Scuba.com for my gear and was planning to buy much of my future gear from them because they have consistently been the lowest priced seller. However, this experience and another one in which they refused to honor a discount for a BS reason is making me consider other alternatives including LP's price match offer. I will give Scuba.com the benefit if the doubt and give them one more chance. I hope they can come through.

After checking out the computer, it became obvious that this unit was defective.

What was the defect that caused you to return it?

There's always a chance that it could have been accidentally initiated during shipping, but equal chance it was an ex-demo or a previous return. If it had a noticeable defect, then that's quite some coincidence - depending on what the defect was.

I'm not sure whether the plane in which it was delivered was pressurized or not, but my previous computer purchase through them did not arrive activated.

As far as the defect goes, it had a two obvious ones: first, several pixels were faded or gone. The right half of the first character in every line was faded or missing. Second, the "Advance" button was permanently depressed, making it unusable .. Also made it impossible to set the time.

In addition, before I even looked at the watch, there were some clues that the box had been opened before such as things not being as neatly packed as you would expect. These clues in and of themselves were not enough to make me think it was an opened-box item (just made me raise an eyebrow) until I saw the watch itself.

All of the Scuba.com products are new unless clearly stated on the website as an “open box demo”. All “open box demo units”, are reviewed and inspected by a factory trained service techs. Because of the high value “open box demo units” possess, they literally fly off the shelves.

We replaced your computer immediately while you were in our retail store. Your computer is defective and has been sent to the manufacturer for replacement.

As for the computer being in the on mode when delivered, who knows if it is related to the unit being defective. I cannot venture a guess.

We ship daily to Hong Kong and other Pacific Rim countries. We strive to offer the lowest prices, with the highest quality possible.

As you say, prices at scuba.com have always been the lowest that I could find. I have also always found service to be pretty good, despite the awkward procedures required for international orders. These are the reasons that led me to choose scuba.com as our merchant of choice.

That said, there is very little question this item had been opened previously. Rather than telling me that the 2 buttons were probably accidentally depressed during shipping (obviously BS and insulting to my intelligence), your rep could have just said what you basically just said: that you don't know why or how it could have been in the "on" position. That is an honest answer that I can accept and, to some degree, respect. To your credit, the item was indeed exchanged without a fuss.

Im willing to chalk up this incident as an honest mistake. I wonder, though, whether this would have cost me another $100 in shipping to have the replacement delivered to me had I not been in town to exchange it in person. This would be a consideration in making my decision to continue patronizing scuba.com.

Cosmo... I can't help but think that perhaps it's more fair to concentrate on the actual service that scuba.com provided, rather than speculate on what may/may not have happened in regards to the product condition on delivery.

The stark facts are that scuba.com acted very decently to immediately exchange/replace the defective unit, without hesitation or condition.

Give them credit where it is due. Speculation is unfair.

Actually, I think I made it quite clear that despite the facts, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. In fact, you would not know that they had "acted very decently" had I not confirmed that myself. You say that i should give credit where it is due. I believe that I have given scuba.com quite a bit of credit, actually, for their prices and service, and despite the dubious excuse for the opened-box item, I stated that I will continue to patronize them for the aforementioned benefits (price and service). I'm curious as to what further credit you think they deserve.

What does it cost to ship to Hong Kong? Why would you buy something from the US as its likely made in Asia?

I am honestly unclear what your post is about as your issue was handled with professionalism?

Rather strange to bitch about something that was handled so well. If anything I would think you would be here praising the shop for handling the issue promptly.

Three of your points have already been addressed: 1) I was complaining that I was evidently sold an open-boxed item as new. When scuba.com replied that they would never intentionally do that, I gave them the benefit of the doubt that it was an honest mistake. 2) I did praise them for their service and acknowledged that whatever error they made was rectified quickly (although one reason that they were able to rectify it quickly was that I happened to be on the right side of the Pacific Ocean at the time). 3) I already indicated the shipping cost me $100.

Regarding your final point (why not buy in Asia), I suggest you direct that question to Oceanic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom