Scuba ClubCoz and airfare from DC area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, you can do the mayair for 49 pp each way. Or I got a van guy for 45-50 one way to playa and and about 13 per person on the ferry. Can't be too heavy in the bags for mayair.

So 100 total for Mayair

and 126 for van and ferry.

Or you can ride the autobus and ferry for maybe 52 total?

The bus from the airport is 120 pesos, and the ferry (according to the mexico waterjets website) is 155 pesos. 275 pesos from the airport to the island using that method.

The bus from the airport is 120 pesos, and the ferry (according to the mexico waterjets website) is 155 pesos. 275 pesos from the airport to the island using that method.
That's $21-27 USC, depending on how you convert, each way = about $50 USD. Looks appealing to me vs $205 cheaper air. The bus and ferry counters will take your USD, both depart frequently (2 ferry companies so just take the next one, one-way, do not buy round-trip!), fairly comfortable rides, and you can get a private cab once you get to Coz instead of those sardine packed airport vans as a bonus.

The usual challenge is how early your flight leaves Cancun, but if the flight times are good - early enough arriving and late enough departing, should be worth it. I never do it as I can't save that much.

I arrived in Coz yesterday, boarded the hot, cramped van, and our first stop was to drop 3 off at the ferry to Playa del Carmen. :confused: Very odd, and I've seen it once before. I think planning mistakes were made.

Scuba Club Cozumel Specials

That is a really aggressive offer.

Now I'm looking at flights and I find that airfare from Dulles or Reagan to Coz is $580 or so RT. Cancun is only $375.... How much would transfers be from Can to Coz and then Coz to Can? I guess it'll be exactly $205 for taxi/ferry since that's the difference in the ticket.

That is a nice offer, but it's easy to get diving and lodging packaged together for $120 - $150/day here year round, depending on where you stay of course - I guess for ScubaClub this is a big discount, I don't know what that package would normally run :) But at the very least, you're getting meals and a few extra dives thrown in. Nice!

For that airfare, the "bag drag" is worth it IMO. As Kari said, $275 pesos pp each way for the bus ferry option, which will take about 2 hours each way. $275 pesos is currently about $21usd each way

Have a great time!!! Take pictures and give us a report please :)

Here is useful info on the Cancun to Cozumel bus/ferry option.

Cancun Airport to Playa del Carmen/Cozumel by ADO Bus

Do look at updated ferry and bus schedules. Currently the earliest ferry to PDC is at 600 AM then 700 AM.

Buses from PDC to the Cancun airport are at 710 AM, 805 AM and 830 AM plus more later. If you take the 600 AM ferry, you might make the 710 AM ADO bus. You get to the airport around 815 AM. If you want to be there three hours before the flight that means a flight no earlier than about 1100 AM.

You may be able to drop that time to two hours early but then you have no pad if you miss the first ferry or closest bus.

A way around this timing issue is to go over to the mainland the afternoon before. Stay at a hotel of your choice on the beach or at the Courtyard Marriott which has a free shuttle to/from the airport.

Courtyard by Marriott Cancun Airport, Free Shuttle, Free Wi-Fi, Beach Club, Gym

SCC deal - that is $100pp their regular price plus a free night dive. Not bad really.

I would not fly into Cancun and do the bag drag myself. My time and sanity are worth the airfare difference.

I would not fly into Cancun and do the bag drag myself. My time and sanity are worth the airfare difference.

My own personal rule of thumb is that I won't do the Bag Drag unless I'm saving close to $200 on the round trip flight. I figure the ADO Bus, the Ferry, and tips to the Tricyclo to lug my bags from the Bus Station in PDC at about $30 each way, $60 round trip. Then there's the two hours + delay in getting from Cancun Airport to Cozumel, and the 4+ hours that I have to leave early from Cozumel to make sure I don't miss the return flight. That extra time and hassle is worth about $150 to me. Make your own judgment about what it's worth to you.

My own personal rule of thumb is that I won't do the Bag Drag unless I'm saving close to $200 on the round trip flight. I figure the ADO Bus, the Ferry, and tips to the Tricyclo to lug my bags from the Bus Station in PDC at about $30 each way, $60 round trip. Then there's the two hours + delay in getting from Cancun Airport to Cozumel, and the 4+ hours that I have to leave early from Cozumel to make sure I don't miss the return flight. That extra time and hassle is worth about $150 to me. Make your own judgment about what it's worth to you.
That's the worst part about the bag drag. It ruins your last day on coz.

You can fly into CUN and out of CZM. You could do the bus/ferry down and mayair back to CUN. Those options eliminate the extra 4+ hours of travel on your last day if you do the bag drag.
273$ a day seems like a lot to pay to stay at SCC?

Back
Top Bottom