Scuba Club Closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

probably just not worth staying open

Feeling bad for all the staff, but I believe that it is the right move to keep everyone safe.

Divegoose

I doubt that it has anything to do with safety. Most resorts on the island and across the Caribbean will be closing for lack of business and income. Airlines are still selling tickets to Cozumel and Cancun in desperate attempts to continue income, but flights are often canceled and many businesses on the island are shutting down to reduce expenses in light of reduced income. This one caters to divers so while the port is close indefinitely, it would feel the losses even more abruptly than others that have some appeal to non-diving visitors.

May 15 seemed like a long shutdown target, but even if the pandemic is stopped sooner, potential guests will be recovering from the effects long after and less able to visit even when travel becomes safer and the port opens to diving. Many businesses on the island are going to be challenged to reopen at all after the pandemic passes, and many lower-income families with little savings will be challenged to feed their families for months with some leaving the island to seek food sources on the peninsula or further inland. I expect changes all too similar to those described in "Grapes of Wrath."

There doesn't have to be just one single reason.
I usually appreciate your views and opinions shared here, but that one fails me. The primary reason seems pretty obvious. If there are no customers, then last one leaving turn off the lights and lock the doors.

Reactions: JFS
I usually appreciate your views and opinions shared here, but that one fails me. The primary reason seems pretty obvious. If there are no customers, then last one leaving turn off the lights and lock the doors.
I just mean that there may be, and probably is IMO, more than one contributory reason for their decision to shut down. Lack of business is of course one of them but safety of their employees is likely (again IMO) also a consideration.

SCC may well treat its employees well and take all precautions to protect their safety, but if they had customers - they would be open, whatever it'd take.

SCC may well treat its employees well and take all precautions to protect their safety, but if they had customers - they would be open, whatever it'd take.
We're splitting hairs here. If my aunt had wheels she'd be a bicycle.

There ain't no one here. Who you gonna be open for? Headlines in some paper today, 80% of restaurants closed. Every place on the east side today, the parking lot was empty - so I'm told.

There's word of an 11pm curfew, 20,000 peso fine or jail if in violation - starting Friday. Someone said to stock up on beer, they'll stop selling booze next......

I see shop owners sitting on stools with open doors, why not? But, the faucet ain't dripping, it's dry.

For the people earning a living here, holy ****. When do you think it'll turn back on? I dearly hope that when it's ok to travel, even though you might no have all that money you once did, you make the sacrifice and come here - eat, drink, dive, take tours - whatever - these folks are gonna be hurting for sometime.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom