Scuba Chef's Corner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NOTE: You need a whole lot less olive oil to fry with than you would say using vegetable oil. I made that mistake :( Apparently a little DOES go a long way! I also use olive oil cooking spray that works like a champ.

First of all Olive oil infuses the best taste. If you use any oil way would you go for taste

This is one of the finest olive oils that I have come across
http://www.mustaphas.com

I buy it by the gallon. Also the Arcan oil is amazing!

Oh and no Morton. I'm a diver so I prefer Sel du Mer - Sea Salt.

Here's a gross-sounding, but REALLY yummy recipe using olive oil:

Saute 4-5 cloves garlic, 1 small can anchovies, a lot of black pepper, and some olive oil. "Mash" the anchovies with a fork until they break into little pieces
Boil spagetti, then toss it in the frying pan with the anchovy/oil mixture to coat.
Serve with romano or parmesan cheese.
Serves 2.

USe sea salt, you will use less. i was a chef for 12 years. You should look at what you are using the olive oil for. Some brands have different blends, you can use for baking, sauteing and salads.

Olive oil is great for low heat and quick fry ups, stir fry or pasta mix. It does not like high heat, thus when the situation calls for I switch to peanut oil. Also a great flavour additive. Of course, be carefull for friends and family that may not be able to take in peanut products.

diver_daver:
Olive oil is great for low heat and quick fry ups, stir fry or pasta mix. It does not like high heat, thus when the situation calls for I switch to peanut oil. Also a great flavour additive. Of course, be carefull for friends and family that may not be able to take in peanut products.
I tend to use ground nut oil (same as peanut oil ?) - I cook a lot of Thai/Indian/Asian dishes. How healthy/unhealthy is this ?

Olive oil my favorite food! Here's the deal: As mentioned by cmt489, it is a monosaturated fat which means it actually lowers your bad cholesterol. There are basically three grades: Pure(lowest grade) Virgin(middle grade) and Extra Virgin(best grade)

Great night before dive meal: Saute fresh chopped garlic in olive oil then toss in cooked pasta, black olives, parmasan chesse and a little salt to taste.

hi,
Can i used extra virgin oil for cooking ? or is the pure olive oil better for saute?
Because I have tried extra virgin oil before and it taste bad not unlike Pure virgin oil for sauteing.
any comments?

hi,
Can i used extra virgin oil for cooking ? or is the pure olive oil better for saute?
Because I have tried extra virgin oil before and it taste bad not unlike Pure virgin oil for sauteing.
any comments?

It depends on what you are saute-ing (sp?)... Extra Virgin is fine (I use it for most of my cooking no matter what), but you have to cook at a lower temperature when you saute. If you are looking to brown something or get that nice crisp outer layer you might want to use peanut oil or canola oil. They have a higher smoke point. I have a feeling that is why you thought the olive oil didn't taste very good.

Here's a gross-sounding, but REALLY yummy recipe using olive oil:

Saute 4-5 cloves garlic, 1 small can anchovies, a lot of black pepper, and some olive oil. "Mash" the anchovies with a fork until they break into little pieces
Boil spagetti, then toss it in the frying pan with the anchovy/oil mixture to coat.
Serve with romano or parmesan cheese.
Serves 2.

What did you steal that from my aunt?:D

I think garlic is the greatest thing in the world. I like to take a bulb cut thetop off pour some olive oil on it wrap in foil and bake in the over on 425 for an hour and eat it with about anything

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom