Scuba as a survival tool in Australian bush fire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoredivr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Good move. I have often though of doing the same thing should the same happen. My only problem is I don't have a pool in my back yard. I'll have to jump the fence and use the neighbors.

Use it as a SCBA unit to drive to safety?

A few years back a guy used SCUBA to exit his burning house in Phoenix.

Few years later, when he was convicted of a bunch of charges (arson of the house one of them) he committed suicide in the court room right after the guilty verdict was read. Cyanide pill I believe.

Use it as a SCBA unit to drive to safety?
Probably not a good idea, as cars have a reservoir of gasoline, which is highly flammable. I'd rather be at the bottom of that pool as a fire went overhead, than driving blind in a fire, even with a scuba for breathing.

SeaRat
Certified Safety Professional (retired)
(former U.S. Forest Service smokejumper)

Scuba does not keep you from roasting in an intense fire. It is the water that is protecting you from burning and scuba allowing you to have something to breath under the water.

Back when our big fire was threatening Avalon, I considered taking my tank down to the ocean. Fortunately the wind shifted and blew the fire back up canyon.

Back
Top Bottom