Scuba and Beach - April '12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thorndowyn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hallo everybody,

my wife and I are thinking about going to Thailand next April or May.
We want to go for approx. 14 days. Before the stay at the beach we plan on doing a round trip to see the sights.

I'm a CMAS**-Diver, but my wife does not dive. So I'm looking for an area, where I can get nice day- or half-day-trips. Also, nice snorkeling directly from the beach would be nice, since this is something my wife and I can enjoy together. While I'm diving, my wife will stay at the hotel and enjoy the beach, or sometimes join to trip for snorkeling.

Which general are would you recommend to look for hotels to stay?

I have appr. 130 dives in cold water with low visibility and up to 40 m. Also some current experience.

Thanks in advance!

That time of the year you will find the best weather conditions in the Samui archipelago which includes Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. Diving conditions should be at it's best during that time frame as well. Koh Tao can offer half day trips and good snorkeling, pending on what beach you end up at. Koh Phangan with decent snorkeling can offer short trips to Sail Rock! Samui can offer speed boat trips to Sail Rock and be back on Samui by 3pm but snorkeling lacks a bit.

At the Andaman side, diving may be more varied but weather conditions are a bit hit and miss although boats will try to operate each day of the year.

That time of the year you will find the best weather conditions in the Samui archipelago which includes Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. Diving conditions should be at it's best during that time frame as well. Koh Tao can offer half day trips and good snorkeling, pending on what beach you end up at. Koh Phangan with decent snorkeling can offer short trips to Sail Rock! Samui can offer speed boat trips to Sail Rock and be back on Samui by 3pm but snorkeling lacks a bit.

At the Andaman side, diving may be more varied but weather conditions are a bit hit and miss although boats will try to operate each day of the year.
Yes, the Andaman Side is more varied and simply better diving. Plus the weather in April is normally excellent, with flat seas and excellent diving. In May, depending on when the wind changes direction, the seas can be a bit more choppy, which might limit the snorkeling from the beach options.

Why is it that almost every thread on the Thai forum ends up a battle between east and west with the same handful of 'Pros' fighting it out? Are you all so desperate for business that you have to make Scubaboard your very own advertising platform at the expense of genuine members? My Dad is better than your Dad... Pathetic!

I'm sorry, but incorrect information has to be corrected.

Anyway, both Limbo and me are answering questions, which is more than can be said from Thai Diver, who is only seeking arguments here.

Koh Tao has lots of nice spots to snorkel straight from the beach and two dive trips are generally completed either morning or afternoon. This means that you will only be away for half a day and still be able to spend time with your wife too. Theres a huge range of accommodation here - let me know your budget and I can make some suggestions. Feel free to PM me !

Ayesha

Hopefully, not being a dive professional I will be able to voice my opinion without attracting criticism?
Andaman coast for me any time of year, better diving and generally a much nicer environment than the Gulf Islands.

I think the best dive sites for day trips in Thailand are around Koh Phi Phi and Koh Lanta. In that area you can do day trips to Koh Haa, Koh Bida, Shark Point, Hin Daeng/Muang (can be just a 2 hour trip via speed boat from souhtern pier of Lanta). There's jack squat to see snorkeling off lanta, but it does have nice beaches. To do a half day trip from lanta, you would have to take a speed boat, which means they are more weather dependant. From Phi Phi, there are many good dive spots nearby, that you will be less weather dependant and can do 2 dive mornings easily. I have never gotten bored of Koh Bida. Both these places should be good in April, and you start rolling the dice in May.

Via liveaboard, I would prefer north andaman over south, but via day trip, I think the south has better options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom