SCUBA and arthritis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A few years ago I injured an elbow. The Dr. took an x-ray and showed me all this bright white areas around the joints-She said I would be dealing with arthritis in about 20 years. Well, this weekend I woke up in great pain. Both hands swollen and every joint hurting (but the hands were swollen like an allergic reaction-in other words all over, not just at the joints). One hip hurt badly and I had limited mobility in my arms because of the pain I would get in my joints if I put pressure on anything. The bottom line is that I suppose the Dr. can’t tell time or could diving be speeding up the process?

Of course, I am only assuming right now that it is arthritis given the family history and the conversations with the Dr. in the past. I am wondering if diving is contributing to this problem.

Not really sure if diving will speed up the process. I do know for my self, I live with back and shoulder pain from dirtbike wrecks. When I am underwater the are virtually non-existent. Now walking back to the back of boat with my steels is a different story. How does your joint pain feel underwater?

No pain underwater and honestly, I have days with no pain at all on land...and then there are other days where I feel like I am trying to stand up after dropping my bike or something-all beat down.

You need to go to a Rheumatologist and get it checked out. I have psoriatic arthritis and until I started a treatment with Enbrel, I was barely able to hold a cup to my mouth with one hand and I could only walk with a cane. After the first injection, my shoulder quit hurting for the first time in over 10 years. Since then, I have been able to ride my Harley and get OW certified...

I agree -- if you haven't had definitive diagnosis of your condition, you need a workup.

Diving can cause orthopedic problems -- dysbaric osteonecrosis, or bone death due to decompression problems, is common among commercial divers but not at all unknown in avid recreational divers. But it would not commonly involve small joints like the hands.

I have a little osteoarthritis in my left hip. I feel you brother.
Go get checked out. They had me do a little physical therapy and it helped.
They also told me the do's and dont's.

Thanks everyone. I am scheduled to go see my GP at the end of this week to talk about some MRI results-I will pile this on his plate as well. I think I have something messed up in my neck. I lay down on my right side-left arm goes to sleep. Change sides-opposite arm goes to sleep…only I wouldn’t call it ‘goes to sleep’ it just goes numb but it is not followed by the stinging pain you get when the blood starts to return. My Dr. ordered the MRI and some ultrasounds back in October. Now that the joint pain has gotten bad (and with it the numbness) I decided to actually go in and get the test done. His nurse called back within a few hours of finishing the test the other day saying that I needed to come into see the Dr.

I am glad to hear that if it is arthritis that it sounds like there may be treatments. My biggest fear about getting medical test done (besides the deductable) is that they will either not find anything or that they will find something – irrational I know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom