Scratches on a Sea&Sea dome port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use novus scratch remover. You can get the kit and choose the grit that matches the depth of the scratches. Here is a link for a web retailer.

The stuff works wonders on the fine scratches that develop after a bunch of dives as well as some of the bigger dings the domes take on shore dives etc.

Just for the acrylic ones please!!!
The best thing for scratched glass domes is a credit card!!!

I used to recondition used acrylic domes.
There are to my knowledge 3 types of scratches:
Hairline: short and very thin ones that you get in day to day use... you don't feel them, but if you have to many of them might interfere with image quality. Easy to remove, just a thorough polishing and it's OK and you have all the optical quality intact.
Medium scratches: you can feel them with the tip of the nail... hard to remove, depending on where it is and how big it might affect the overall dome optical quality, because to remove them you must apply the same treatment over all the dome outer surface. Requires sanding and polishing.
Deep scratches: You feel them with the tip (soft part) of the finger. Usually will cause an imperfection at the place they are located, requires heavy sanding, and I would recommend a new dome instead.
WARNING to just polish a scratch that needs sanding will almost always result in a worse scratch!!!

Micromesh NC-78-1 is a great kit if you need sanding, Novus is great for polishing.

Hi Sea&Sea
Whats the best product for polishing scratches out of your Dome Ports ?

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris - if you jump over to Wetpixel there is a sticky thread about taking scratches out of domes including step by step instructions.

Mariozi is correct about the best products and they don't cost a fortune. It does take time though.

Thanks All for your responses

I have placed an order for a Micro Mesh kit and have stripped down the port. I will let you know how it goes, fingers crossed eh

Cheers
Chris

Back
Top Bottom