Scratched Lens Port, Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could probably take it to a small self-contained optometrist, but more than likely you'd have to remove the lens from the port to have it polished. It might weaken the glass as well, or if it's coated it will damage or remove the coating.

If the scratch is on the outside of the housing there is good a chance it will fill with water and not be noticable in any pictures.I would take the camera into the bathtub take a few pics and see if the scratch is visible on the pics.All of my ports have scratches to some degree on them some worse than others and none are noticeable in any pics.

if that doesnt work do any of you know where i can buy a new lens iv been looking on the internet for a canon wp-43 lens and cant seem to find any sites

---------- Post added May 15th, 2012 at 12:03 AM ----------

If the scratch is on the outside of the housing there is good a chance it will fill with water and not be noticable in any pictures.I would take the camera into the bathtub take a few pics and see if the scratch is visible on the pics.All of my ports have scratches to some degree on them some worse than others and none are noticeable in any pics.
thank you for you advice ido you know where i can buy a new lens

---------- Post added May 15th, 2012 at 12:04 AM ----------

thank you for you advice ido you know where i can buy a new lens

You could go to a dental lab and have them add some clear acrylic then polish it with the pumice wheel on a lathe.

My guess is that the port is glass so the Novus stuff will not be terribly useful nor will filling it with an acrylic and polishing since the IR will be different. There are tons of custom glass guys out there to make a new one if you want to spend $150 or more.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom