Scorpion fish, possibly juvenile, with very unique coloring in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dianna912

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This scorpionfish was spotted at the Blue Heron Bridge in May. I've never seen a coloration like this, and I'm really curious what species it may be. Has anyone else spotted a similar scorpionfish in the Caribbean? Bonus points if you have photos, since our photos aren't the greatest. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210530P5300309.jpg
    20210530P5300309.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 20210530P5300315.jpg
    20210530P5300315.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 98
Yes, I've seen a Scorpionfish like that before; They're called a Dwarf Scorpionfish; I've seen them in the Flower Garden Banks in Texas.

Attachments

• 3106 Dwarf Scorpionfish.jpg
    3106 Dwarf Scorpionfish.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 106
I do not believe it's a dwarf, rather than just a very small one.
Here's one off Pompano Beach a couple weeks ago, about 1"

Attachments

• 1264 04 scorpionfish.jpg
    1264 04 scorpionfish.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 74
This scorpionfish was spotted at the Blue Heron Bridge in May. I've never seen a coloration like this, and I'm really curious what species it may be. Has anyone else spotted a similar scorpionfish in the Caribbean? Bonus points if you have photos, since our photos aren't the greatest. Thanks!
I *think* that's a mushroom scorpionfish. The curved tail is usually the giveaway

I *think* that's a mushroom scorpionfish. The curved tail is usually the giveaway
Thanks so much! The one thing that is making me question the mushroom scorpionfish is the lack of the mushroom eye flaps. I did find a very old study (1965, I believe) that had a fairly robust comparison between our scorpionfish, and it turns out that S. Inermis and S. Calcaratta, the "Smoothhead" scorpionfish, have extremely similar appearance, with the exception of the eye flaps, and the head length is slightly larger on the mushroom (Inermis). My pre-dorsal length appears to be just below 40% of the standard length, which makes me think this may be the smoothhead. Unfortunately, I can't find very few images to compare it to, although STRI shows prolific distribution in Florida.

Scratch that, sorry. The pectoral fin shape is actually very different between the two species, and this one def matches the Mushroom scorpionfish more closely.

Back
Top Bottom