scooters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lightning Fish

Contributor
Reaction score
Often in such diving you will be using scooters to lower CO2 uptake and allow deeper penetration in a specific period of time, among other benefits, and thereby reduce stress that may impact on decompression and offgassing.

I took this quote from another thread. I also read something similar yesterday as to the usefullness of a scooter. So, after using a scooter for deeper penetration or to cover a greater distance in OW, what do you do should the scooter fail to function? Do you now have long swim or do you just get a ride with your buddy?

Thanks.
Bill.

Lightning Fish:
I took this quote from another thread. I also read something similar yesterday as to the usefullness of a scooter. So, after using a scooter for deeper penetration or to cover a greater distance in OW, what do you do should the scooter fail to function? Do you now have long swim or do you just get a ride with your buddy?

Thanks.
Bill.

I don't scooter yet, so take it for what you will. I have been towed a few times, though.

If your buddy's scooter is still functional, get towed. If not, and it's too far a distance to swim, you should've brought more scooters. In OW, this is less of an issue, as you can at least get yourself to the surface, but in a cave, they bring stage their scooters and only run them partially (50% or 1/3rd, can't remember) down since they become life support devices.

You get towed back.

If the dive was planned depending on the scooter's capabilities, you would have turned the dive at 1/3 of the burn time.

If the scooter is not critical, you have more flexibility with turn times, with the understanding that some swimming may be involved when the towing scooter dies, too.

All the best, James

Lightning Fish:

Get a ride.

It happens to us very infrequently and is a bit of a pain to do but compared to other emergency drills, like air sharing, it isn't that huge of a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom