Scooter recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adrianhuma

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello guys. I want to buy myself a DPV Scooter and i need some help choosing the correct one. I will want to be a tech diver sometime in the future and i don't want to buy a normal scooter. These are my last 3 chosed ones and i want to know which one is the best
- Suex Xjoy 7
- SCOOTER MARINER 528
- SCOOTER AP-002-e AQUAPROP
Maybe you guys dealt with them and know which one is best. Thanks in advance and waiting for your advice.

Buy a used Oceanic Mako (or Aeris Voyager or similar) for $500 and then after you've done some DPV dives on that and if you decide you need something that runs for more than 60 minutes or goes deeper sell it for what you paid for it and buy something else.

Or you can pay several thousand dollars up front to try and impress people with conspicuous consumption. Whichever.

Buy a used SS UV 18. You should be able to get one for around $1,000. Once you figure out what type of diving you will do in the future you can use the UV 18 as a backup

Mako type backends (including Gavin and SS) all have the same issues with the clutch, blades, and center screw.

Plus the problems with trim and balance with makos.

Save yourself the headache :)

Mako type backends (including Gavin and SS) all have the same issues with the clutch, blades, and center screw.

Plus the problems with trim and balance with makos.

Save yourself the headache :)

Yeah Wakulla and Sally are littered with the abandoned Gavins because the back end is so unreliable. :)

Sure there are better scooters on the market but I would buy a UV 18 for a starter scooter over a Mako. Scooter and battery technology have really improved over the last few years and I think battery technology will continue to make strides. The replacement cost on most of the high performance batteries is more than a used UV scooter. I would bet in 3 years you will still be able to get 1k for a UV 18. Do what makes you happy but there are some souped up pool toys that are pretty much useless for tech diving

Maybe $1k UVs can't be had in Nice? I think the idea is right, though: There's no reason why a new diver shouldn't consider a basic used scooter as a first scooter, being careful to stay away from the souped-up pool toys.

Yeah Wakulla and Sally are littered with the abandoned Gavins because the back end is so unreliable. :)

Sure there are better scooters on the market but I would buy a UV 18 for a starter scooter over a Mako. Scooter and battery technology have really improved over the last few years and I think battery technology will continue to make strides. The replacement cost on most of the high performance batteries is more than a used UV scooter. I would bet in 3 years you will still be able to get 1k for a UV 18. Do what makes you happy but there are some souped up pool toys that are pretty much useless for tech diving
Funny you say that. There was a gavin prop lost in Chips for like a decade.

I've personally been on 2 (edit: 3) dives where gavin props have resulted in dead scooters.

To be honest i've looked around for all types of scooters, and i want a good scooter ( not cheap but not to expensive ) that i can drive with 1 hand , and that i can tie up to myself. The only 3 options that i found are those. What do you think of the scooters that i mentioned earlier ? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom