Scooter diving with Scubahawk27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lonebrave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just a quick review of my first scooter adventure with scubahawk27.

I met Greg, his wife, and another diver at Makena Beach Park. (I have to apologize for being really bad with names and not remembering his wife's or the other diver's name.) After introductions, we began getting gear together. Neither the other diver nor I had even used a scooter before, so Greg and his wife briefed us on their use. We then discussed the plan for the dive. Greg and I buddied up while his wife and the other diver were buddies.

After getting in the water, we rode the scooters out on the surface a bit to until in about 20ft of water. We dropped down, signaled OK all around, then rode the scooters out towards our destination...Marty's Reef. It didn't take long to start to get comfortable riding the scooter. Prior to the dive, Greg had adjusted the props on the scooters to try to match everyone's speed. I was a bit slow once we all got going underwater, so Greg made an adjustment to my scooter so I wasn't lagging behind as much. In fact, I had to watch my speed as I was now faster than everyone else. On the way out, we saw a large frogfish among the rocks at the edge of the sand. It was the first I've seen not well camouflaged on a wreck or large artificial reef. After passing the mooring balls and seeing a boat tied to one, I realized just how much ground we could cover with little effort.

The third diver was having some issues with her mask early in the dive. When Greg and I reached the reef, we turned around expecting the two others to be right behind us. We both looked kind of surprised when the weren't there. They had been right behind us just a minute ago. After a few seconds, we saw them coming towards us. Apparently the other diver was still having some mask issues and stopped with Greg's wife to try to fix it. Greg ascended with her to the surface to try to sort things out. His wife and I buddied up while waiting on them to come back down. After a minute or two it became apparent that they weren't coming back down, so we carried all four scooters to the surface to regroup and discuss our options.

We decided to ride the scooters on the surface back towards shore. Once closer to shore, we dropped back down to 20ft and headed over to bubble cave. Greg and I made it to the back, while his wife and the other diver made it in partially before turning around. After we exited the cave, we picked up the scooters and rode them back to the entrance/exit point.

While the dive was cut short a bit due to the mask issues the other diver had, it was still a lot of fun. The professional and safe manner in which Greg and his wife handled the situation was enough for me to know that I'll be doing another scooter dive with them when my schedule permits.

They are great people, I have been out with them the last 3 times on Maui and look forward to it again in december. So much fun.

Thanks Lonebrave, It was a great meeting you and your family. We learned another valuable lesson that day. Never believe everything someone tells you about their dive experience. Such a simple thing, blow out your nose while decending to equalize your mask. My wifes' name is Elizabeth and the third diver name was Kari. Kari is a wonderful person and a lot of fun but just needs a little scuba review prior to her next scooter dive. She is doing fine. She is actually the girlfriend of a very well known rock star. PM and I will give you the details. We are taking him scooter diving in the morning. Look forward to your next visit.

Greg, Have some fun for me. Cant wait to get back there. Send some pics of the diving.

Steve

Very good guess. It was incredibly fun. He is a great diver and was zooming around like a kid. He loved scootering. Wish I had a photo. He asked us to leave the cameras in the truck. Oh well, Maybe next time.

---------- Post Merged at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:55 PM ----------

Ok, Check out a day at the office scooter diving.

[video=youtube;R-2MEU9tHZY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=R-2MEU9tHZY[/video]

---------- Post Merged at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:55 PM ----------

Disclaimer, There is no one famous in this video and no animals were harmed making it. LOL. My Buddy Ryan made this very cool video.

Not really a guess at all.....a post on Facebook revealed the truth. <LOL> Glad you had a great time, and how great for Steven Tyler that you respected his privacy (and enjoyment) enough to leave the camera.

Lol forgot I connected to FB oh well, maybe I will disconnect that. It was a blast!

Naw, you don't have to go off Facebook....we simply have some mutual friends....I promise I wont tell on ou again! :wink:

Thats awesome, glad all of you had fun. Kind of neat when a dive company or divemaster gets to hang out with some one like that. Maybe Jessica Alba will be your next client:) Lots of famous people dive, and they usually dive with someone while on vacation. Any other celebrity clientel that you can claim, without messing up confidentiality agreements?

---------- Post Merged at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Even though Steven Tylers girlfriends (fiances) name is Erin, unless he finally traded her in. Not sure on that. lol.

Back
Top Bottom