School me on diving in Phuket in early March.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oraph

Registered
Reaction score
so looks like i'll be in Phuket for about a week in early March. Not sure if ill have time to do a liveaboard.. if i do, i am looking for a 3day one.
so...
1. what are the best places to dive in Phuket in March
2. any 2-4 day live aboard trips you can recommend?
3. what are the best day trip spots? from my research (Shark Point and Phi Phi) anything else?

thanks

I'd still recommend a liveaboard if possible. We do have a few 3-day ones.
In reply to your specific questions:

1. The number one dive site in the Kingdom is Richelieu Rock. Other signature dive sites are Tachai Pinnacle, Koh Bon West Ridge, and Elephant Head Rock, to name a few. Boonsung Wreck is also pretty amazing.

2. It depends on your dates.

3. The Bida islands of Phi Phi, Shark Point, Anemone Reef are my favorites for daytrips from Phuket. My favorite combo trip is Shark Point/Anemone Reef/Koh Doc Mai. Some people like the King Cruiser wreck, but it's not in my own top 5.

If you do a liveaboard, make sure you include Richeliieu Rock in the itinerary. If that is not possible on your dates I would prefer daytrips from Phuket over a liveaboard.

There are 3 and 4 day trips available, generally to get to Richelieu which is a great dive you need a 4 day trip, but a couple of 3 days also include it. There are 3 day trips to the south andaman too, this includes Hin Daeng Muang and JKoh haa as well as the Anemone, reef / shark Point and Phi Phi. These are less crowded than the north liveaboards but offer great diving at this time of year. It really depends on what exact dates you are here and which boats can fit your itinerary. The best boat for one person may not be the best for another, it depends on what you are looking for.
Daytrips to Phi Phi, anemone reef, shark pint and Koh Doc mai are good from Phuket, but Phi Phi is a longer travel time.

what are the chances of actually seeing a whale shark at Richeliieu Rock?

Slim. However there is a lot of other stuff to see there from schools of jacks and barracudas to seahorses, sometimes manta rays; all kinds of reef fish, and lots of crustaceans, plus corals. It's a really great dive site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom