school busses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FightingDrag

Registered
Reaction score
I randomly got this idea when i was thinking of buying a school bus and making it into a party bus, couldent you scrap the hull, ship the engine and drive train to whoever would want it, there are plenty of DIY cat addicts who would enjoy parts and donating to a good cause buying parts. would aneyone wanna look into if this is plausable or not?

I think there are quite enough school buses out there already.

im sorry i guess i was vauge.

I mean scraping out the insides of the school bus and send the insides to a DIY car addict.
then taking the empty hull and shiping it to a barge or somthing and have tugs take the barge out and dump the schoolbus hulls into the water for them to be used as reef's

The military isent going to be dumping alotta ships fast, and there are ALOTTA un used school buses out there that could fit this use perfectly.

I know they did something similar with Train Cars off of New Jersey, and I think they've been having some serious environmental problems with it. They deteriorate too quickly, and they roll around killing everything on the seafloor.

Busses are made of light gauge sheet metal for the most part. They do ok in a cold water quarry, but in a salt water environment subject to surge, it is a different story.

Even a merchant vessel with 1/4" to 3/8" thick steel hull plates lasts maybe 3-5 decades before the wreck collapses. A bus with skin less than 1/16" thick won't last long at all.

I know they did something similar with Train Cars off of New Jersey, and I think they've been having some serious environmental problems with it. They deteriorate too quickly, and they roll around killing everything on the seafloor.

The subway car program in NJ has been stopped. The latest shipment of stainless steel cars have been found to collapse after a short time in the marine environment. They are still in place but it is surmised that the fastening materials have failed, not the stainless steel of the cars themselves. The “Redbird” cars from previous years are holding up very well.

Back
Top Bottom