Scheduled for Cozumel early Feb, Possible Re-Route to Florida. Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guitarcrazy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As the thread title states, we were very excited to return to Cozumel but the new quarantine requirements may lead us to re-route to a different location, or cancel. My wife and I are both advanced, and typically dive Coz 3 times a year. We have never been to south Florida to dive, so not sure what to expect. She is very warm blooded, so the thought of cold water diving doesn't appeal to her at all. We typically wear 3 mil suits in Cozumel, and that is with the 80ish degree water. I have done some diving in Laguna Beach CA with a 7mil, and while I still enjoyed it, my wife definitely would not. Is south Florida a good redirect if we can't go back to Coz?

Hi @Guitarcrazy

Water temps in SE Florida will be around their low in February. I would expect the water temp to be in the lower 70s. I have occasionally had high sixties or mid 70s

I am intolerant of cold water and wear a full 7 mm and a 5/3 hooded vest in the winter. Some folks do fine in a 5 mm. Regardless, for most people, it is not 3 mm suits to stay warm for 2 or 4 hour dives during the winter. The air temperature is also often on the cool side, made worse if there is wind. My boat coat is perhaps my most important piece of dive equipment.

Water temp in Key Largo right now is 73f according to noaa. A little cooler than Coz, but not anything like the cold waters of California (from what I've heard - never dived CA). I think you'll find the diving in FL is very good, but not quite as good as Cozumel. The topside accommodations tend to be much better than Cozumel... well, I guess that depends on where you stay and what you spend. Florida costs more to get you those better accommodations. A trip to Coz costs me about the same as a trip to KL, but the KL trip doesn't require airplane tickets.

What is the problem with returning to Cozumel? By "quarantine requirements" do you mean the recent entry requirements for the US?

Yesterday it was announced that the CDC is looking to impose a quarantine on all international travelers to the US. My wife and I have been vaccinated so we didn't feel too much risk in traveling, but we can't self-quarantine for 2 weeks upon return so might have to make changes or cancel trip. We were in Cozumel last February, and that was our last chance to dive as the pandemic heated up soon after our return. Coincindence? :wink:

Hi @Guitarcrazy

Water temps in SE Florida will be around their low in February. I would expect the water temp to be in the lower 70s. I have occasionally had high sixties or mid 70s

I am intolerant of cold water and wear a full 7 mm and a 5/3 hooded vest in the winter. Some folks do fine in a 5 mm. Regardless, for most people, it is not 3 mm suits to stay warm for 2 or 4 hour dives during the winter. The air temperature is also often on the cool side, made worse if there is wind. My boat coat is perhaps my most important piece of dive equipment.

This!! I agree 100% with what @scubadada shared.

I wear a Bare Reactive 5mm with a Sharkskin hooded vest underneath. I fully expect that one of these days I'll move to a 7mm. My boat coat is also one of my most important pieces of dive equipment in the winter. The surface interval topside can be surprisingly brutal if it's chilly, cloudy, or windy or worse a combination of those.

The Keys are the warmest place to dive salt water in the U.S. but are still too cold for my liking this time of year. I hate neoprene and prefer diving swim trunks or maybe a shorty.

I don't find the accomodations in KL any better unless you get a condo and they will run about 4x higher. If you must fly in you'll also need a rental car. But the diving is very nice and I've been a half dozen times. Just not in February.

Yesterday it was announced that the CDC is looking to impose a quarantine on all international travelers to the US. My wife and I have been vaccinated so we didn't feel too much risk in traveling, but we can't self-quarantine for 2 weeks upon return so might have to make changes or cancel trip. We were in Cozumel last February, and that was our last chance to dive as the pandemic heated up soon after our return. Coincindence? :wink:
OK, see Executive Order on Promoting COVID-19 Safety in Domestic and International Travel | The White House.
As it states, in section 5(ii), compliance with CDC guidelines is required, "to the extent possible," "including recommended periods of self-quarantine or self-isolation after entry into the United States."
Those recommendations are currently 7 days quarantine if you get a test between Day 3-5 of coming home, 10 days quarantine if you do not get a test.
Oof.
Of course, all can change, and will, but not instantly. Any trips over the next 2-3 months really ought to take this into account. Plus, there are all the various state-imposed mandatory quarantines on entering your state.
OP, thanks for bringing this to my attention; I'd missed the details of that ExecOrd.

Unfortunately I think that will be too cold for my better half. We may have to postpone the trip again. :(

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom