Scapa Flow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poogweese

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All, in planning an upcoming trip to Orkney I have a couple questions... Is there a specific dive operator/charter service you would recommend for diving Scapa Flow? Also, is there a time of the year that is best to dive Scapa in regards to visibility and weather? Thanks!

Poog

Poogweese:
Hi All, in planning an upcoming trip to Orkney I have a couple questions... Is there a specific dive operator/charter service you would recommend for diving Scapa Flow? Also, is there a time of the year that is best to dive Scapa in regards to visibility and weather? Thanks!

Poog

If you are travelling on your own, scapascuba are your best bet, well organised and being a school, have kit to hire rather than carry it. I'm hoping to organise my daughters ow course with them at Easter if I can work it in.
Personally I tend to dive off the Karin ( scapa flow technical) nice stable dive platform, any gas I want and a skipper I trust who will put me onto undived wrecks.
Most of the charters book up months in advance during the summer, so don't leave it much longer.
As to when, the visibility is at it's best in winter, when if you hit it right it can be superb, and drops to 5m or so in summer, when Stromness can be crowded adn accomodation hard to find. April or september are often nice, and not too crowded.
In summer you are unlikely to get completely blown out, though the flow can have a
nasty short sea.

Poogweese:

Poog

these guys you will get all the infomation you want from divers

http://www.yorkshire-divers.co.uk/

Back
Top Bottom