Scallop trip 8/3/16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decapoddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A buddy and I decided to replenish our supply of scallops so we launched at Winter Island in my boat and headed out to where the beds had been last year. I dropped the cabled camera over and began searching only to find lots of barren sand and gravel. After a few moves we finally began seeing a few but nowhere near the concentrations that were there the last few years. We went in and began harvesting. Repeated this process for another dive in another spot and hoped we had enough for our 1 gallon each. Meanwhile we were seeing more lobsters walking around than I have even seen before. More lobster than scallops. 99% were small but I ended with 10. My buddy didn't want to waste air trying to corral them into the bag so he only got 2. My buddy lost a full bag with a lift bag on it that is still there so we will head back soon to recover it. It has his name and number on it so we're hoping a kind person will contact him if they find it before us.
We gathered all the bags and began shucking. After over an hour we each had our gallon and put the rest back for next time.
Pretty tiring day and frustrating for my buddy but it won't stop us from doing again really soon.View attachment 378758 20160803_143049.jpg 20160803_192509.jpg

Attachments

• 20160803_121649.jpg
    20160803_121649.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 57
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom