Saw my first manatee at Datura Ave, Fort Lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
For 5 years since I moved to FL always wanted to see a manatee. They are kind of elusive to see on the East side of FL, I guess the biggest chance to see them in Intracoastal but never happened to me.

Well, until today. I was freediving after scuba at Datura Ave scuba entry point (Ft. Lauderdale), in ocean water right next to the beach, in about 10 feet of water, a manatee slow swam under me. Man, it was big.

I don't know, just excited. Did not expect to see one right next to the beach. What is next on my list, a croc?

For 5 years since I moved to FL always wanted to see a manatee. They are kind of elusive to see on the East side of FL, I guess the biggest chance to see them in Intracoastal but never happened to me.

Well, until today. I was freediving after scuba at Datura Ave scuba entry point (Ft. Lauderdale), in ocean water right next to the beach, in about 10 feet of water, a manatee slow swam under me. Man, it was big.

I don't know, just excited. Did not expect to see one right next to the beach. What is next on my list, a croc?

Hopefully not a croc in our “neck of the woods.” I keep hoping for a manta ray.

Awesome! I’ve seen one once on scuba (BHB) and once snorkeling (Bonita Springs in SWFL). Always a thrill!

I was lucky to snorkel very close with two in Sarasota Bay- we also saw a family swim by as well. July of this year! I got GoPro footage, but it was very sandy as the tide was running out and stirred everything up. Definitely a great experience.

Awesome.
There is a person in Hollywood who paddleboards most morning. She is always posting photos of manatees.. I've got a few hundred dives off Hollywood beach and have never seen one..
See them at BHB though

Well back in the day, rum was what they drank at sea.

Our very first dive on Culebra, Puerto Rico I thought I saw a sunken boat.

Years ago I got to see Karl Banse give his retirement talk, which led to this paper on mermaids. It's basically a commentary on using historical data badly, but in the guise of trusting old reports of mermaids and building a whole culture around these reports. It's really a fun read.

Error - Cookies Turned Off

(On a related note a decade or two earlier the same top journal published an article on the density of monsters in Loch Ness. It was basically presenting a mathematical model on fish stocks and it could have been trout, or bass, or really any species. So they did monsters as the model organism. The basic answer is that there's either a lot of little monsters or one big one. The Loch can't support a breeding population of monstrous monsters....)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom