Saw a new dive charter today.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yesterday I dove with Pura Vida on Aurelia with 14 divers plus 2 crew and it was night and day compared to AquaLife with 13 plus 1 crew. Now it is a bigger boat for sure but the main difference was the layout. There was so much space for moving about. I will try not to take that for granted again.

I went out on the Sea Siren :cool: with PVD last month when it was full, there was still plenty of space to gear up, and move to the stern.

Yesterday I dove with Pura Vida on Aurelia with 14 divers plus 2 crew and it was night and day compared to AquaLife with 13 plus 1 crew. Now it is a bigger boat for sure but the main difference was the layout. There was so much space for moving about. I will try not to take that for granted again.
Aurelia is probably the nicest dive boat in PBC. Even with their full load there is plenty of space to spread out. PVDs boats are one of the main reason I like to dive with them.

I went out on the Sea Siren :cool: with PVD last month when it was full, there was still plenty of space to gear up, and move to the stern.

I see what you did there. :thumb: It's an awesome boat.

Pura Vida on Aurelia

on the Sea Siren :cool: with PVD

OK,,what am I missing here...............
I thought PVD had just 3 boats
Aurelia..... ~26 passengers
Sirena.... ~12 passengers
Marin... ~ 19 passenger

What is Sea Siren and about how many passengers???

What is Sea Siren and about how many passengers???

Aurelia used to be owned by Pompano Dive Center, a pretty beloved dive operation, and while PDC owned her she was named Sea Siren. She was renamed to prevent confusion with the Sierna.

@Johnoly Marin is the former Pompano Dive Center Sea Dog and Aurelia is the former Sea Siren. Sirena they have sold. Not sure to whom.

I'd say Miss Conduct with Conrad is the only charter I see with a reasonable amount of divers on board.
Probably because Miss Conduct is a 6 pack and they are, by law, not allowed to take more than 6 people.

Did anyone explain the importance of a muster after boarding but before boat movement to the captain and DM? Did anyone explain how Captain Kyaa lost her license? Did anyone tell the DM how to jump a wreck? I don’t necessarily mean you, but if you and PawPaw have experience on this wreck, maybe the DM could have used words of advice and encouragement instead of grumbling and unhappiness (and believe me, you don’t need to be told that a diver is unhappy, you know it by unspoken communications).

On one level I understand your point. However, to be brutally honest, it's not my job. I'm a paying customer. Coaching staff is not my responsibility. Following the boat rules, keeping myself and my buddy safe, and being courteous to others on the boat are my only responsibilities. I'm not coaching someone else's staff. I will give a boat one chance, maybe two, I will judge their competence for myself, and speak with my feet/wallet and also share the facts (and just the facts) on ScubaBoard for other divers to learn from.

I was thinking that when I read the report.

Granted, having DMs/deckhands who don't talk to me or touch my stuff sounds like the type of operation I would like... until they left my behind in the water because don't notice I didn't come on board... oh well, places they go have plenty of other boats to rescue a diver (or run him over), one could also start swimming to shore eventually end up in Palm Beach or Miami-Dade depending on the current.
I see this boat very often, either coming or going, or tied at their dock. They do seem crowded but so are the other charters I see. The colors of the haul are visually pleasant so it is a good boat to see.

I'd say Miss Conduct with Conrad is the only charter I see with a reasonable amount of divers on board. From my days of using charters in the 90's I always enjoyed Diversity with Tony Coulter, I still hear him in the radio every so often, used to respect the fact he wouldn't go out if conditions were rough, don't know if he still has that philosophy.
Diversity may not go out when it's rough, but that Di** has no problem waking small boats in the inlet. He can be a bit of an A**. I remember one of the bigger ops in Deerfield used to pay their Capt. a measly $50 a trip to take a boat load of divers. Me, I'll just take my boat and a couple of friends, go where we want, maybe park in Lake Boca or lunch at a waterfront restaurant on the way in be glad I never go out on the cattle boats.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom