Save the World-Scuba Program for At Risk Youth in Chicago

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dean810

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Help Change the World-Instructors, AI’s, and General Volunteers Needed!

Again this year we are attempting to establish the S.T.A.R.S. (Scuba Training for At Risk Students) program in Chicago. For those that are unaware of S.T.A.R.S, this is a program that has been in existence for 6 years in Elgin, Illinois providing self-esteem and self-development for teens that otherwise might be headed in the wrong direction in their lives. This is done through the discipline of scuba training. It is an intensive course that takes participants from Discover Scuba all the way through Rescue Diver and several specialty courses. It emphasizes fitness training, team building, problem resolution and responsibility. The program has a proven track record in increasing GPA and reducing school absenteeism and dropout rates.

This year we are much further along than we were last year. We have the students, we have a fantastic facility (the Martin Luther King Boys and Girls Club near the United Center), we have a fully developed program, and we also have staff at the Club to deal with any discipline issues if they should rise up. All we need now are volunteers.

We have a desperate need for INSTRUCTORS, ASSISTANT INSTRUCTORS, DIVE MASTERS and people who are FITNESS ORIENTED that can help with that aspect of the program. I also need GENERAL VOLUNTEERS to help out in all aspects of the program. I need a COMMITMENT TO START AND FINISH THE COURSE for those that sign on. This coarse will require the same level of commitment and responsibility from our volunteers that we are asking of our students.

You will receive training and support. Time commitments from our core volunteers would be approximately 36 hours, spread out over one or two days a week for 12 weeks. Of course, if we have enough volunteers, that would ease the load on everyone.

We will also need help and support from people who have a flair for fund-raising. We have a good base of equipment to start with, but could certainly use help from people in finding more equipment and supplies.

INSTRUCTORS are one of my first concerns. Without them it would be hard for the program to go forward. I know a few instructors, but there must be a few I don’t know about as well. We really need you with this. Referrals would be wonderful.

This is an opportunity to give back and make a difference. It will be work, but also very rewarding. During these difficult times, being able to help others is more important than ever. I hope everyone reading this will give this careful consideration.

Please respond back to me through my email address below.

Thank you!
-Dean Nolan
deannolan@sbcglobal.net

I am told this is a great program. If it was in Detroit I would be interested in participating.

Back
Top Bottom