save a dive goodies...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil

Reaction score
# of dives
Ok.... this could get interesting...

So what are some of the unusual items that all of you keep in your "save a dive" bags.... besides the usual "o" rings, fin straps, and pocket tool kit...??????

I got paired up with this guy as my dive buddy while in the Dominican Republic ... He pops his mask strap as we are suiting up.... he asked me to hand him his save a dive bag and as I grab for it, everything fallls out .... including condoms.....( you can bet I let him lead as we were cruising around)

Curious what you all keep in your kits!

Phil

I keep a picture of the Warhammer Maneuver in my kit, as a reminder to NOT eat certain foods just prior to a dive!

But seriously, just the usual, O-ring, mouth piece, spare batteries for flashlight and dive computer, tye straps etc... I try to keep it minimal on local dives, it's enough to just haul the gear I've got.

Condoms? Hmm... That could save a dive.

I carry all the normal straps, orings etc... I hadn't thought of the batteries. They'll be getting added.

Well, I thought batteries were standard, guess not for some, so here is the list of stuff I carry.

- O-Rings
- Fin Straps
- Mask Straps
- Replacement mouth piece for reg.
- Black nylon cable tyes, different sizes and widths
- Basic tools
- Batteries for flashlights, strobes, and dive computer
- Clear silicon lubricant, for O-rings on flashlights, dive computers, and other items, to help reseal the unit after opening.
- Lint free lens paper to clean surfaces on above mentioned equipment without leaving lint behind to mess up a good seal.
- Cotton swabs to help clean items
- Small bottle of alchohol to help remove dirt and grease if needed.
- Spare mask
- Roll of heavy cotton string (often called butchers cord), to tie down most anything that would be damaged by using a nylon tye strap, or that a tye strap would be too short.
- Oh and that picture of the warhammer maneuver, as mentioned ealier, as a reminder to not eat certain foods prior to a dive.
- All packed into a surprisingly small closeable bag, with a float tied to it, just in case it falls overboard.

Well that's it, sounds like a lot now that I type it here, but in reality, it's in a very small package.

Any suggestions for items that could come in handy? Let me know.

patches for the dry suit

A very small tube of super glue

A paint marker - to put my name on gear and occasionaly mark a leak in the inflatable

Air pressure guage,
AquaSeal,
Zipper lubricant,
Seal Lubricant (for easy entry into the suit, try KY),
Spare Lanyard,
Smoked Salmon,
Hot Apple Cider.

(Okay, the last two don't actually save a dive, but are essential while putting the gear away.)

Bolt snaps
Large and small double enders
Bungee
Surgical Tubing
Bicycle innertube
Zip ties
Lighter (not for smoking)
Immodium AD (to prevent the warhammer manuever)
Excedrin Migraine
Advil
Tums
Silicone grease
O rings
Q tips
Burst disks
Din to yoke adaptor for reg

That's about it.

No need for fin straps, as springs don't break that easily.
No need for mask straps as I carry a spare maks, and the neoprene straps are very hard to break.

When diving far from home I carry a save-a-dive kit like you wouldn't believe. There is not much in the way of equipment failures that could keep me from diving. Of course I travel in my van. I still need to get a kit for my HID. other than that, you name it I got it.

My dive buddy is pretty much like you Mike. He carries everything. I carry an extra regulator, he carries three extra. I carry an extra mask, he carries 4. He carries extra suits, a large box of assorted o-rings, a complete tool kit, and about anything you can imagine. I could come with no gear, and be able to dive off of his extras.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom