Savannah/Tybee Island in May, what to see?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mdbrownarch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My girlfriend and I are headed to Savannah/Tybee Island in May, and were thinking about diving. We have read about some good wreck diving but we dont know much about the area since we are in landlocked colorado. We aren't interested in spearfishing or fossil diving and are both fairly new (less than 30 dives each). What sites would you recommend? What kind of life could we expect? What could we expect with the water temperature and current? Are there any dive companies in the area?

Many thanks!
Matt

Allegedly, by several groups. One using a Geiger counter, made up of retired veterans.

Sorry for the unintentional hijack. Check out the fossil teeth threads here. That would be fun, and there are tons of wrecks.

I was waiting to see if anyone would respond to this thread before I chimed in. I lived on Wilmington Island, just outside Savannah, when I was growing up. The water in amd around Savannah is very cloudy. When we used to swim off of the family docks, I don't recall ever seeing more than a couple of feet visibility. I suspect you would need to go well offshore to find decent visibility.

Did you try to contact a dive op in the area?

Carolyn [user]lives4sharks[/user] lives there.

My girlfriend and I are headed to Savannah/Tybee Island in May, and were thinking about diving. We have read about some good wreck diving but we dont know much about the area since we are in landlocked colorado. We aren't interested in spearfishing or fossil diving and are both fairly new (less than 30 dives each). What sites would you recommend? What kind of life could we expect? What could we expect with the water temperature and current? Are there any dive companies in the area?

Many thanks!
Matt

The best wreck dive in the area is possibly the Nettleton, a WW II Liberty Ship located at G-reef east of Cumberland Island. Vis can be anywhere from poor (less than 10) to good (over 40) and water temps in May will be in the 70's. Currents can be very strong. I've been diving here for 10 years and I still don't really know what to expect until I hit the water. Conditions vary widely including our tides which can range from 6' to 10'. I dive out of St. Simons and St. Mary's. In May your best shot is likely Divers' Den in Kingsland/St. Mary's. There are also several dive shops in Savannah but I have not dived with them so I can't offer much info.

@dkktsunami

Thanks for the tips! I take it there isn't a ton of diving around Savannah then? Figured there might be more wreck dives up there than in St. Mary's because of the long history as a shipping port.

Do you have a link to photos of Diver's Den? I can only find the company there in St. Mary's which only has photos of fish on a dock they have caught which I found pretty odd.

Thanks again!
Matt

I live in Savannah. The only diving off the coast is our at Grey's Reef. I know people do say it is a great dive I have never done it.
The reasons being is that it is a long ways out to the Gulf Stream and the weather and seas can change rapidly so I have never cared to take the chance to spend that much time on a small boat in rough seas. Also the cost is a factor as I want to think it is about $150 pp.
There are just too many other places that I would rather dive.
Savannah is a great city and there is plenty to see and do so I am sure you can stay busy and enjoy but if you want more info on that dive let me know..

@dkktsunami

Thanks for the tips! I take it there isn't a ton of diving around Savannah then? Figured there might be more wreck dives up there than in St. Mary's because of the long history as a shipping port.

Do you have a link to photos of Diver's Den? I can only find the company there in St. Mary's which only has photos of fish on a dock they have caught which I found pretty odd.

Thanks again!
Matt

Sorry about late reply. Google "south georgia dive charters" for Divers' Den.

Back
Top Bottom