Savannah River dive today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprof

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
We had a great dive in the Savannah River today (Augusta GA) 5th street to the old Marina and boat ramp.Vis was 10-15'. Water temps just a lttile cooler than expected (60 degrees). Current was in hyperdrive (must be releasing water from the Dam). This was ok and in fact way cool as given the great vis. Quitre a ride. This was a drift dive so no problem with a bit of current. Dive was a bit shorter given the current (75 minutes). We dove on the ship wreck, bridge pilons, old Hamburg cotton docks, old hamburg bridge remains and some nice sandbar areas with dropoffs. A few big bass and carp, bluegills a small freshwater eel. Seven of us dove. We are doing it again tomorrow at 1p.

Great dive today only my second dive in the Savanna River , thanks Andy and the rest of the group. Wasnt looking for nothing but found a gun, binoculars in case, and old perfume bottle. Im going to try to post pictures hope they come out.

5-7-11divingsavanariver006.jpg

5-7-11divingsavanariver004.jpg

5-7-11divingsavanariver001.jpg

wow..

Another great dive in the Savannah today. Current was slower. I think I've figured out why the current was so strong yesterday. A contractor for the Corps is applying herbicide to the aquatic weed that has taken over near the marina this week. They plan to lower the river 3-4' to spray the weeds so I've been told. Yesterday, they probably dumped excess water from the lake into the river so that they can handle a few days of reduced flow to keep the river low.
Today we had up to 20' vis and a depth of only 19' (think they are already dropping the river). Dive time was 105 minutes. Water temps were a little warmer 62 degrees. Lots of fish life today- several large bass and carp and schools of bluegills and sunfish. Very sunny and warm. Nice. Kind of reminded me of Rainbow River in FL. except we have a ship wreck, old cotton docks, remains of the old Hamburg bridge, and the odd purse or handgun thrown off the 5th street bridge:D etc.).
Next weekend it will likely be back to the lake due to the spraying of the herbicide ( just upstream from where we dive).

Last edited:
Just three of us today (D., M. and I). Wish I'd had my camera today. Pretty much the same route as yesterday. Found the remains of a Southern Nationals drag race boat today. Obviously not a top 10 finisher:D With the wind and rippling water on the surface, neat light show on the bottom.:zen:

I am about two hours away and would like do this dive. Can I get more info somewhere on the put in and take out? Also are there any hazards that I would need to know other than the boat traffic.

Back
Top Bottom