SASY-please only post if you have exp with product

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubastaci

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know there have been posts before, but the majority of them are from 2002. Has anyone had any experience with SASY(supplied air snorkeling for youth)? I was looking at the product and though it looked great, but did not want to spend the money on something without knowing that it was actually worth it.

Please do not post your opinions of the product if you do not have experience with it. There were a lot of "IMO" posts about what they thought of the concept. I think the concept is great for my daughter who can snorkel without any problems and who wants to learn to dive. She is too young to get certified in SCUBA, and I thought that this would be a great thing to have for the next 5 years where she can't dive.

Thank you!!

I know there have been posts before, but the majority of them are from 2002. Has anyone had any experience with SASY(supplied air snorkeling for youth)? I was looking at the product and though it looked great, but did not want to spend the money on something without knowing that it was actually worth it.

Please do not post your opinions of the product if you do not have experience with it. There were a lot of "IMO" posts about what they thought of the concept. I think the concept is great for my daughter who can snorkel without any problems and who wants to learn to dive. She is too young to get certified in SCUBA, and I thought that this would be a great thing to have for the next 5 years where she can't dive.

Thank you!!

We have had some degree of experience with putting kids in the water with the AquaLung SASY in past years. For the kids that love the water, they love the SASY. Personally, I think it is a good way to begin kids on the route to scuba at an early age.

As to value of the products, I assume you are talking about a used unit. We sold all 10 of our SASY units to a single buyer about four years ago. They offered far more per unit than I expected.

Phil Ellis

A co-worker's daughter has done the SASY experience and absolutely loved it. The dive shop owner said she has been offered large sums of money for her units because they don't make them anymore and they are hard to find. Phil's experience selling his seems to validate that but I have no first hand knowledge of their availability. If you can get one in good working order for a price that makes you happy and it makes your kid happy...well, you figure out the value :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

A co-worker's daughter has done the SASY experience and absolutely loved it. The dive shop owner said she has been offered large sums of money for her units because they don't make them anymore and they are hard to find. Phil's experience selling his seems to validate that but I have no first hand knowledge of their availability. If you can get one in good working order for a price that makes you happy and it makes your kid happy...well, you figure out the value :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

I am looking into finding one used or otherwise. My daughter saw me searching and has decided that she is asking Santa for that for Christmas. No stress now! She is my fish and I know she will end up being my best dive buddy!

A former co-worker bought one for her daughter and had mixed reviews. The daughter was 6 and already snorkeling but when she had the Sassy unit on, she didn't like the bubbles and kept sticking her head back out of water. It didn't matter how long they worked with her on it, she just hated the bubbles coming up on her face and mask. I think they put it away and went back to a snorkel.

I lived in Cayman when Wayne Hasson designed the system and in fact even helped put a few prototypes together.

I have seen what joy it brings to kids and fully plan to have my daughter get one when she is a little older (now at 20 months)

I bought a SASY unit for my daughter's 6th birthday present. It was hard to find one, as there doesn't seem to be much of a market for them now.

She enjoyed it for a few days but the novelty wore off pretty quickly. She is a good swimmer and snorkeller and what she really wants to do is DIVE. SASY confines you to the surface, of course, and it just isn't that much of an advance (for her) from snorkelling. She likes "freediving" (max. depth, about 12 feet, heh heh) and swimming under water and you can't do that on SASY.

Frankly, I don't think it was worth the money. I can't wait until she is 10 and can get a scuba certification. Just my $0.02.

If you can't find one to buy, you could probably make one. Get the smallest BC you can find (I think Scubapro has about the smallest) and stuff it with enough flotation material that the child cannot submerge even if she wants to. Get a reg with the smallest mouthpiece you can find and a 12 cu. ft. pony bottle. That's about it.

Back
Top Bottom