Sasamat Lake this Sunday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Revid Abucs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've always wanted to dive Sasamat Lake since I used to snorkel there way back when. Does anyone have any information that would help me make the most of a Sasamat dive? Best entry points (beach or the bridge etc.).

Also if anyone can direct me to a depth map I'd appreciate it. Any idea of the max-depths?

Good luck, let me/us know how it goes, I have also been meaning to try the lake

We did a trash for splash there last fall and took out about 40 onion bags of bottles.
Like most lakes the bottom is pretty sterile after you get below the photosynthetic light range with undisturbed silt over a foot thick. Look for old bottles and golf balls. I dove off the main beach and logged a max depth of 56ft. but some other divers went deeper off to the left. Take a cutting tool in case of fishing line which is probably the greatest (and only) hazard.

I dove Buntzen lake today and was disappointed by the decreasing vis. It seems the summer beach crowd has kicked things up now so that the top layer is murky (it was sooo clear two weeks ago). It gets clearer lower down but darker as well. Hopefully Sasamat isn't so bad.

Post back about the vis as I might go there soon.

Dale.

I dove from bridge on the far side of the lake many times and most recently Friday night. The bottom is full of cans and bottles and random things that have been dropped: keys,cell phones,rods,chairs, sunglasses you name it you will find it. The depth at the bridge is 44 ft and is pretty cold at depth (6 degrees). It's a good rinse for the gear nevertheless....

The Sasamat dive Sunday went well. Very good vis (20 feet +). The muddy bottom was kind of spooky. According to my data it was one of my coldest dives ever. In December I dove to 85 ft at Boyer Island and read a temperature of 48F. At Sasamat I went to 50ft and read 44F. Silly me wore less under my drysuit too since I figured it's summer and a warm lake. Overall I did what I set out to do but it wasn't spectacular.

We did find some big metal fuselage looking thing. It looked like a 3 meter long metal kayak with very flat and tapered sides and a flat top. It was located in roughly 25ft of water near the Rocks at the North end.

How are the closer lakes for diving (closer to vancouver) such as deer lake or burnaby lake???

I'm lookin to go anywhere with anyone, so if anyone wants to go fo a dive this afternoon or tomorrow, that would be awesome.

I was at the same splash for trash event that Dale mentions. We went down to 69'. Temp readings were 5 C for me and 3 C for my buddy. Bottom was so soft that you could push your entire arm into the mud and swirl it around without finding much resistance. lt was like the texture of very soft pudding.

Relic, when you dive off the bridge, how do you haul all the gear to the bridge? Where do you park? I've been interested in taking a look around the bottom of the bridge, but the long walk with gear has dissuaded me.

Slamfire, instead of taking the main entrance into the lake keep going straight (down the large hill). From there you come to a 3 way stop, go straight through (stay right) and you can park along the road there and it's about a 5 minute walk to the bridge. Good luck with your hunt for treasures. I found an ipod down there last summer dried it out and it works just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom