Sardina run

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_masked_diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone.

I´d like to dive in the Sardina run in South Africa, but I see in the internet that it is not possible to know the exact moment, only that is between may and july

¿Anyone has assisted?¿Can share your experience?

I feel nervous avout paying 3.000$ without knowing if I can see something... An option is wait until the last moment, once it has started, but I don´t know how long is it.

Thank you.

Best regards

One of my dive buddies from Denmark had done it before. It’s done in Coffee Bay - Wikipedia
He’s planning to repeat the trip again in June 2022. I’m still waiting for more detail info from him.

Hi everyone.

I´d like to dive in the Sardina run in South Africa, but I see in the internet that it is not possible to know the exact moment, only that is between may and july

¿Anyone has assisted?¿Can share your experience?

I feel nervous avout paying 3.000$ without knowing if I can see something... An option is wait until the last moment, once it has started, but I don´t know how long is it.

Thank you.

Best regards
I did this trip about 8 years ago, spent 2 weeks with an excellent dive op. At that time it was done on scuba--I believe nowadays it's done on snorkel. Snorkel is a much better option--hopping in and out of the boat in scuba gear was a total drag. The sardine bait ball was running too deep, we had no sightings at all. I guess it's the luck of the draw! Our skipper kept in contact with other vessels so they could update one another on sightings/changing water conditions. We did get to see humpback whales and various water birds--seeing a humpback do a full breech was amazing, but I have the opportunity to see that in my own country. I was there in the height of the season (latter part of June, maybe early July). Be prepared for cold temps out on the water as the boat cruises for fish action. And each day was a very early start; and there was no bathroom on the boat.

We often joked we should have opened a can of sardines! Having said that, if you're fortunate enough to be in the right spot, at the right time, it would be an amazing experience.

Of all the trips I have done around the globe, this is one that I would not do again.

Back
Top Bottom