Sanyo Xacti

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My buddy had one. Unfortunately it lasted for less than a year. It flooded after less than 6 months of usage. Somehow the Epoque housing started to flood at around 10m. The amount of water inside the housing increases as he descended deeper and reduces when he ascended to a shallower depth.

I remember he mentioned that the camera gets pretty hot after using for a while. The housing also tend to fog up frequently (Could the 2 be related?). 2 packs of silica gel together with defogging solution did not help too.

Overall, I would say that the unit takes pretty decent video and photos. He was very pleased with the video camera and housing during the time he was using it. Definitely value for money.

gklem,

Which model camera/housing was it? Just curious because mine has been good (C5) it did fog one time but I had left it sitting in the sun with the case closed (duh!) other than that I've been careful to clean the O-Ring every time I use it and it's been great.

James

It was the C5 with Epoque housing. The fogging problem was pretty bad as far as I can recall. Could the warm and humid south east asia weather be the contributing factor? I am not sure.

The O-Ring was cleaned on alternate nights during trips. So I am pretty sure they are well lubricated. We even took the housing down without the camera on subsequent dives to double confirm. True enough, water starts seeping beyong 10m and increases as we go deep. The volume of water inside the housing reduces as ascend. I think it makes as very good science experiment. *LOL*

Hmm well I know when in Hawaii I did have fogging issues if I left the case closed (or had the case in the AC or anything) but other than that had no real issues. As for the water entering, can't say I've had that yet, hopefully won't have it.

sorry for dredging up a realy old post.
my epoque flooded in the rinse bucket luckily(although looking back at vids just before, i can now see water on the lens) :(

i thought i had a leaking button o-ring (saw salt by the on/off button)
so swapped it with the low light button that i never use. then took the housing for a dive less camera.

@20mr it began to leak, in the area around the screen.
when i finished the dive, i looked closer at it +saw the area had a crack :shocked2:
the housing has a huge thickness of plastic that is at sea pressure,
then a weedy thin internal web, that has to support the o-ring +prevent it from deforming under pressure.

the crack basicly allowed the web to move +stop compressing the o-ring :shakehead:

luckily i only had two more days of diving, to do cameraless.
at home i scored the inside of the housing, de-greased it +used an araldite type epoxy adhesive,
to form a stronger web support internaly.
initialy i was only going to make a new web, in the area of the crack, but went on to re-inforce the whole camera :D

its since been down to ~55mr on the san francisco maru @truk lagoon :crafty:
all the ikelites that were on the same dive JAMMED :shocked2: +wouldnt allow any picts to be taken :(
not what you want on a deep, short dive

Attachments

• epoque monitor area lip reinforced.jpg
    epoque monitor area lip reinforced.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 38
  • epoque internal lip reinforced.jpg
    epoque internal lip reinforced.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 38
Hmmm, airmech, I had the exact same thing happen. I trashed the housing (and destroyed camera) as I was overseas and was PO'd and didn't want to carry the thing any more. Glad to see yours is still working. Did you get video from Truk?

Back
Top Bottom