SANTI boot options advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

B.Elster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm in the process of getting a SANTI E.motion Plus (first dry suit) and have just come across a video of Steve Martin and Vas Proud talking about dry suits. Specifically, Vas argues that integrated boots may not be as good as socks with regular dry suit boots because:

1. they introduce extra air space, which may affect buoyancy, and
2. the foot has inherently more space in the integrated boot so some fin control may suffer because of the disconnect between the foot and the fin.

All makes good sense but I'd like to hear from you guys.

SANTI offer these options:

- Standard Neoprene Boots 6mm
- Neoprene Socks
- Flexsole
- Neoprene Socks + Rockboots

I'm also a little worried about getting the suit with integrated boots because I have flat feet and, if the size of the boots isn't exactly right, I will end up hating every minute of diving it.

Looking forward to your feedback, especially from those who have experience with both integrated boots and non-integrated boots. If you were in the market for a new suit, knowing what you know, which way would you go?

I personally prefer the neoprene socks however I do think some people like the boots.

My Santi suit was my first drysuit and I got the boots. My primary use for the suit was cave diving which requires the diver to constantly be horizontal with feet up. The boots were also a little big for me so that I could fit thick layers of wool socks if needed. This caused me nothing but difficulty. To keep my feet up meant air would always migrate to my boot and it would then expand and be on the loose side which made it more difficult to properly kick. Shortly after I decided to change over to neoprene socks. I still got them a little loose in case I need heavy socks but I can then get a snug fitting dive boot and/or rock boot to go over them which helps keep air out. I much prefer this.

Some of my initial struggle may have been being a new drysuit diver or that the boot could have been more snug but at any rate I don't see a downside to the neoprene sock. When you need new boots it's very easy to bring the drysuit in while testing dive boots for fit. Then you leave the store knowing everything fits properly.

Thanks both for your input.

My primary use for the suit was cave diving which requires the diver to constantly be horizontal with feet up. The boots were also a little big for me so that I could fit thick layers of wool socks if needed. This caused me nothing but difficulty. To keep my feet up meant air would always migrate to my boot and it would then expand and be on the loose side which made it more difficult to properly kick.

A very good and useful point.

Got used to the thinner socks on the Whites Fusion, and went with the socks for the e.Motion+. I find them a lot thicker than the Whites Fusions socks and a bit more difficult to get into, but overall they work well with rock boots. I'm about an 11, and have size 13 Evo4 boots.

Back
Top Bottom