Santa Barbara Island 7/31/10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
We only got two dives here because we had a five hour ride back to Ventura in the afternoon, but they were the best of the trip.

More Nudis
Flabellina Iodinea (Spanish Shawl)
Diving7-31-10SantaBarbaraIsland018cropsm.jpg

Hermissenda Crassicornis (Horned Aeolid)
Diving7-31-10SantaBarbaraIsland022cropsm.jpg

Chromodoris
Diving7-31-10SantaBarbaraIsland031cropsm.jpg

Navanax
Diving7-31-10SantaBarbaraIsland036cropsm.jpg

and tons of Sea Hares, including this California Sea Hare
Diving7-31-10SantaBarbaraIsland012cropsm.jpg

but the Sea Lions were amazing. They followed us everywhere and played with anyone who responded to them.
Diving7-31-10SantaBarbaraIsland066sm.jpg

Diving7-31-10SantaBarbaraIsland140nxsm.jpg

Diving7-31-10SantaBarbaraIsland062cropsm.jpg

Diving7-31-10SantaBarbaraIsland100sm.jpg

Diving7-31-10SantaBarbaraIsland127cropsm.jpg

but eventually, we had to say goodbye
Diving7-31-10SantaBarbaraIsland145cropsm.jpg

You can view the whole album here
7-31-10 Santa Barbara Island pictures by Larry_C - Photobucket

Great shots Larry. The Sea Lions are my favorite especially the first one with the five of them.

Man, you know it's a bummer when nudibranchs (Limacia cockerelli, Triopha catalinae) are getting in the way of other nudibranchs (Flabellina iodinea, Hermissenda crassicornis) in your pictures :wink:

Great pictures! Would love to dive Santa Barbara Island one of these days!

Larry
Are these all shot with the 60mm?
Great photos, I will have a look at the album as well.

Thanks, Bill & Jim!

Man, you know it's a bummer when nudibranchs (Limacia cockerelli, Triopha catalinae) are getting in the way of other nudibranchs (Flabellina iodinea, Hermissenda crassicornis) in your pictures :wink:
Great pictures! Would love to dive Santa Barbara Island one of these days!
Yeah, I know! I forgot to mention the hitchhikers! Note that there are no "Hi Moms" crowding into the picture of the Navanax! My wife dove Santa Barbara on a lobster trip last year and had raved about how beautiful it was. She didn't lie.

Larry
Are these all shot with the 60mm?
Great photos, I will have a look at the album as well.
Thanks, Victor!
The macros were shot with the 60 AF-D in the standard flat port. The Sea Lion shots were done with the Tokina 10-17 in the fisheye dome, all at 10mm (I don't have a zoom gear for it yet). Had I been diving the dome on the first dive, I might have gotten the Giant Black Sea Bass that Carol saw while I had my nose in a hole shooting nudis!

Thanks, Robin. I might have to dive the end of the Breakwater Pier or get down to Lobos Rocks now sometime to satisfy my Sea Lion habit. We're used to seeing the occasional one or two swooping down at a distance, but although the 10mm lens distorts the distance, these guys were playing 2-4 feet away. We were in Sea Lion heaven!

how COLD was the water? Great shots
Varied from 58-68°f with steep thermoclines at about 25-35'. Chillier than usual, as the spearfishers on our trip look for high 60's to 70's there for yellow-tail and white sea bass. We didn't get much action for the hunters.

We did 4 dives off Anacapa a week ago and everyone saw tons of giant black sea bass, except my nose was always in a hole playing with the tiny things.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom