Sanitizing regulators and gear for Covid 19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello folks,
after a long pause due to lockdown soon we will start diving again in Italy.
How to properly sanitize the gear and especially the regulators?
Both because they have been left unused for quite some time (routine cleaning) and because of the specific problems related to the Covid 19

There are of course many tutorials on how to clean the gear including the official ones released by Padi, Naui, etc. There is also different information about this, some for example say that the virus is a bigger problem out of the water than in it. So for example it would be easier to get/transmit it in the car when going to the diving spot than exchanging or renting gear

I would like to understand what you guys do

Thanks

IMG_2226.JPG

Timely -- was just cleaning some gear . . .

Well COVID-19 can live on surfaces for up to 5 days. So if that is all your worried about wait 5 days.

Salt water kills it so dip in salt water wait and rinse.

Chlorine bleach will kill it so you could spray or dip in chlorine wait and rinse. I'm pretty sure chlorine is bad for your gear.

Alcohol will kill it so spray or dip in above 60% let sit and rinse.

Or since I'm the only one touching my gear I just rinse it and not worry about it.

I don’t rent gear, even tanks. No one lays a hand on my gear unless they’re helping me by steadying doubles while I’m getting in/out of harness.

If it’s all your own gear you’re diving with, there’s no reason, IMO, to go all OCD and germaphobe.

Back
Top Bottom