Sangalaki Dive Report- Aug04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wahlaoeh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi there, just back from Sangalaki on Sat nite, here is a brief dive report & link to my pix gallery.

http://sg.homeunix.com/jovin/Dive-pixs

Sangalaki Island Trip Report – Aug04

Getting there:
Everything went smoothly except for the 3-4 hrs delay, waiting for boat transfer from Berau to Sangalaki. Arrived at island around 7pm, missed the check-out dive being offered. Resort owner very briefly “WELCOME” us & blamed the minor screw-up on the Spore group who departed that day but after reading the guest book, we knew the truth. NO offer of apologies or any compensated extra dive mentioned…….DISGUSTED!! :hanged:

Accommodation:
Basic but nice & clean (daily housekeeping), with hot “SALT water” shower.

Food: Not to my liking.
Each meal consists of one meat (mainly beef), one vegetable/salad & fruits ONLY. NO fish, hardly any seafood- where are the fishermen?? There was even a day when we ran out of egg & bread for breakfast, had to do with just fried maggi noodles. Most luxurious meal was a treat from our very kind Spore friends, Edwin & Niki, who brought us Fried Chicken from Berau after their departure..YUMMY!! Definitely an area for improvement.

Diving/ Sea Condition:
Manta rays are sighted almost every dive (mainly on the surface) but the best part was the opportunity to snorkel with them, sometimes 8-10…absolutely AWESOME. Also, sighted some really nice nudibranchs, cuttlefishes, lionfishes etc. Snorkelling in Kakaban jellyfish with thousands of non-stinging jellyfishes was simply amazing.

During low tide, we’ve got to walk 100-200m to the boat from the resort (vice versa)- very tiring but good exercise….building up some leg muscles..hee..hee. Pity the boatman & DM… they took the same route with extra load (our equipments & tanks). Usually, it was very windy & huge surface surf encountered, as high as 1m….definitely not for the faint hearted. The diving was pretty challenging as well, water temperature at 26-27°C, most of the time with mild to medium current, difficult to concentrate to take pixs. I dived in my rashies & board shorts so it was extremely cold for me, but thanks to my “wind-breaker” buddy, Mike, who never fails to shelter me from the cold wind after dive. Making our way to the jellyfish lake was very exciting & strenuous, braving the waves, fell, knocked & scratched by corals/barnacles…so many bruises on my legs & hands.
A little advice for my rashies & board shorts diving kakis: bring along a skinsuit at least
Maybe, due to our bad luck, mother nature is against us or whatsoever, all was calm on the final day on the island.

Staff:
Very friendly, helpful & accommodating. Love them all. :heart: :heart:

Safety:
Although there is a decompression chamber on the island but the only person (resort owner) who was trained to operate it was not on the island most of the time, he left for town on the 2nd day we arrived...no sight of him since!! Also, was told that the only communication to the mainland, i.e telephone line (via satellite, I think) was not working. Luckily for us, NO emergency!!

Overall, I’ve REALLY enjoyed the 10 days break from work. Special thanks to the wonderful friends that has made this a memorable trip for me: Kelvin, Frances, Mike, Robert, Cheng How, Eng Chuan, Susan, Bill, Bruce, Edwin, Niki, Gianluigi, Gabriele, Thomas, the Italian couple, Putu, Rivi & all the amazing locals on the island….till then, let’s continue to blow more happy bubbles… :snorkels:

Good report. I was thinking of going to Sangalaki but I will pass this place up for now.

Visited Sangalaki in June this year. I agree with the most of the comments in your trip reports although I think I was more enthousiastic about the quality of the diving: in addition to the squadrons of mantas and the amazing jelly fish lake I would also mention very healthy hard corals, lots of great macro life (pigmy seahorses, lots of nudis, pipe fish, ghostpipe fish., frogfish...), some sharks (white tip & Leopard) & turtles, a couple of huge porcepine rays. But maybe we were just lucky...

Also if I remember correctly although their satellite phone was not working (we were told that they cancelled their contract because it was too expensive...) they did have radio connection to the main land - handy in case of an emergency

I was there earlier in the year, although stayed on Maratua (nabucco) . Its a major exercise getting out there and I did not see a single Manta, only saw one shark (a 1 meter blacktip) and my camera broke! I would go back though if I had the time - its a location where anything (sightings) could happen at any time, just did not happen for me on my trip though.

Topside it was stunningly beautiful.

Okay the food is not great but the diving more than makes up for it. Besides everything already mentioned, going around with the wildlife ranger to watch the turtles lay eggs and see the baby turtles charging for the sea was a fantastic experience

The staff were also a friendly bunch and the dive guides have eyes like sea eagles, they picked out so many things on each dive.

As for the weather, when we went in June it was just beautifully sunny, the sea was calm and it looked like it does on the pictures on their web site. Guess it's just the luck of the draw

Very nice pix & report.

Can i get more details i.e. how u got there? how much it cost? did u go thru any operator??

Cheers!

DontLieToMe: I’m not trying to deter anyone from visiting Sangalaki. I just want fellow divers to know what is being expected. It is a great place for some good challenging (maybe just the wrong timing??) diving.

Frogfish: Agree fully with u on the marine life but the accordingly to the staff, there is definitely no communication to the main land….EMERGENCY?? take a 2 & ½ hrs boat ride out to town!!

OrangeBloke: Lucky U!! Calm sea & fantastic sightings…blamed it on my luck!! Well, maybe my next trip there should in June??

Whitehead: Heard the resort is better in Maratua but to catch the mantas, Sangalaki’s dive sites is the place to go!!

Cheo: Thanks. PM.

PM,

Understand. By the way, they were not very responsive to emails. My decision is based on the effort of getting there versus the return relative to the many other places one can go to in the world. By the way, I was in Myanmmar in May aboard the Ocean Rover and we had mantas on every dive for four days at Black Rock. As you say - just timing.

S.

Sanglaki island is were I saw no mantas - there is a chance I will be returning in June next year though. Just goes to prove the point most of you are making - there aint no guarantees underwater.

Also re Sanglaki for Travel: its a hell of a trek to get there, even from Bangkok! I was 4 days in travel for 4.5 days diving - next time am going to stay a lot longer to make it worthwhile

Hi Cheo,

I paid around S$2.5K for the whole 10 days trip....friend got the deal at ADEX 2004.
Includes:
All flights & transfers,
Fullboard on the island,
3 scheduled boat dives + nite dive each other day, boat dives to nearby Samaman & Kakaban island
One nite hotel stay in Berau (meal at own expenses...MUST ask guide, John to bring you to eat the local grilled fish...YUMMY)

Getting there:
Depart SIN by SilkAir to Balikpapan- approx. 2hrs
Meet by agent & transfer to Berau by local 20+ sitter flight- approx. 1 hr
Van transfer to jetty & boat ride to Sangalaki- Approx. 3 hrs

** Can do a check-out dive if arrive at Sangalaki in the afternoon.
** Can also do 2 dives on the 9th day before leaving island...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom