Sandals Resorts in Jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr Neil

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I enjoy staying at Beaches & Sandals Resorts. We like the all inclusive setting and I can dive while my non diving wife can enjoy shopping and the spas.

We have never been to Jamaica so my question is what is the best Jamaica Sandals resort to stay at for diving?

My wife and I stayed at Couples Swept Away in Negril last October. (There is a Sandals next door). We just started diving and the dives were really easy. I was happy with the diving since I didn't have anything to compare to. Saw some dolphins, a nurse shark, and a turtle over a week. The vis was at least 60' the whole time and the coldest water temp was 79 degrees.

Hope this helped.

The north side ofthe island is considered the rough side. Diving can easily be cancelled due to rough seas. Sandals and other all-inclusive resorts will only go out during good weather and smooth seas since diving is not a primary attraction but is a side activity.

I dive the Negril area where there are 2 Couples, 1 Sandals, 2 Beaches, 2 Riu, and 2 Superclubs resorts, and others, that have diving available.

Around Negril is some of the best and easiest diving in Jamaica. Very clear waters, smoother seas (on average), and many dive sites mapped by the resorts. Diving is normally 40, 60, or 90 foot based on your cert card and proficiency. Fish life is not large and is thin. Reefs are good, lots of colorful soft corals, swim-throughs, turtles, rays, and plenty of small macro life. There has been a pod of dolphins living there for over a year that great divers occassionally.

NO matter which one you stay at, make sure you review thier medical release and can either sign "no" to the medical questions, or have a doctor's release with you. Also, make sure you bring your up-to-date log book.

Below is a copy of an email I recieved from Sandals/Beaches in regards to thier diving program.

Regarding your email request; NB: The under mention are need to know information. It is straight forward, and also standard throughout Sandals/Beaches Resorts

Certified diver who have dive within 6 months can go straight to a dive, once he or she clear medical and show proof of dive e.g. Logbook with stamp authenticating the dive/s & depth. Dive Computer
All diver/s that have not dive in 7 months and up must do a pool assessment of 4 skills.
Certified diver/s that has not dive up to 18 months must do a refresher at a minimal cost.
All diver/s below Dive Master Level must do a shallow dive before they (diver) can go on any deep dive.
All diver/s that complete the shallow dive satisfactory will be able to do both deep and shallow dives daily
Once the requirements are met all certified divers can dive twice (2) per day seven days per week if they (Diver) so desire.

All participants certified or non-certified diver/s MUST fill out a medical questionnaire before he or she can participate in recreational diving. This information is in case a medical clearance from a doctor may be needed for any medical condition including medication being taken. See (Caribbean Luxury Vacations at Sandals Resorts) to view medical statement

Reminds me of an Office episode LOL. I think you miss the best part of a vacation staying at an all inclusive...the culture and the local food. I go on vacation to get way from drunken hillbillies...not to hang with them. Just my .02.

I learned about the strict medical forms and the other requirements when we went to the Beaches at Turks & Caicos.

My son & I did get a good laugh when we showed up late for the pool session with wet dive gear. Whe we were asked about our last dive we showed them our computers and the fact that we had opnly been out of the water for less than 2 hours. Needless to say, they waived the pool skills requirement and allowed us to sign-up for dives.

My wife and I enjoy staying at Beaches & Sandals Resorts. We like the all inclusive setting and I can dive while my non diving wife can enjoy shopping and the spas.

We have never been to Jamaica so my question is what is the best Jamaica Sandals resort to stay at for diving?

My wife and I are both divers and last month enjoyed a return visit to the Regency in St. Lucia, where we thoroughly enjoyed our dives. Great dive crews and some excellent diving. While I can't comment on the best Sandals for diving in Jamaica, I can say that the diving from Sandals Whitehouse was terrible when we visited in 2006. The sites they took us to were devoid of living coral, fish or the normal range of reef critters. In St. Lucia, the dive sites were usually about and hour's boat ride away, while in Jamaica, most of the sites we visited were less than a ten minute ride. Unless they've since expanded their scope of operations and located some decent new sites, I would not even consider Whitehouse for diving.

I just returned from Sandals Montego Bay (stayed March 1-8) and got about 7 dives in. The weather was pretty rough, but the dives were quite enjoyable except for some low vis and rough reentries. Just be warned, the resort is right next to the airport and if some frequent take offs are going to bother you, it's not the right resort.

I also stayed at Sandals Negril about 2 years ago and got about 5 dives in there. All in all, I thought the reefs at MoBay were larger and more interesting (especially for the second shallow dive). I can't really compare the vis or seas since the weather was pretty windy this year at MoBay. Dive staff was great at both resorts and my wife actually started the certifcation process (to PADI Scuba Diver) at Negril and we both did AOW at MoBay this year.

Back
Top Bottom