Sandals Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jessid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello All,
We are going to Nassau in November and are looking for good all inclusive dive vacations. I understand that Sandals includes diving and am wondering if anyone has ever stayed there? Any opinions on this or other all inclusives to stay at?? :idk:

I have been to the Royal Bahamian and the included diving is an attraction in terms of money. The Royal Bahamian property is small(er) but nice and well kept. Our balcony had a limited view of the ocean and an apartment building and parking lot. There are better rooms.

You will find the dive operations to be professional, safe, to have new(er) ~50 ft Newton diesel boats, to have maintained gear, with clockwork diving. They will have DMs leading groups of 6 but unfortunately when the first person in the group reaches 1000 psi, the entire group of 6 has to come up. I have seen up to three groups on the boat but we still had decent room to work. Additionally, it's pretty much follow the leader diving and you may find yourself herded. We have tried to get them to accomodate experienced divers by separating them but that can be difficult since their program is based on honeymoon divers i.e. one diver is certified and experienced and the other is not or both are new to diving. Those outnumber the experienced divers. It's my experience that it is the boat captain that cracks the whip. They did run am trips for "experienced" divers and an afternoon trip for newer/certifying divers.
I have had to ask for a camera bucket to be put on board. You will find other divers putting their masks into it.

Their dives are generally shorter. I have had 25 minutes dives with alot of 35-40 min dives but a few longer. I don't think it was ever more than 50 minutes even at the shallow sites. In contrast, my dives in Cozumel almost always are a minimum of 60 minutes (some pushing 80) and those I did with an outside dive op in Exuma were around 60 min as well.

I have met and dove with a few experienced divers when I wasn't diving with my wife in New Providence (Nassau) and they all seemed confident/competant though there was an English guy (buddy on that dive) who was a newer diver who hung a foot off my left shoulder the entire dive.

The dives I have found are to less challenging sites in general but occasionally they do more challenging sites. I found the diving around New Providence was not that inspiring however we dived a couple that were good. We were there in January and there was a weather front the entire week so it was cold and very windy. November might have some weather as well (and colder water temps). The weather then did dictate the dive sites.

The Bond wrecks that we did, in my opinion, are broken down and not impressive. We did a wall, whose name I cannot remember offhand, that was good. On the North end if I recall.

I did write a trip report for Exuma diving. Again with Sandals. See the link which has comments about Sandals diving.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bahamas/343141-exuma-trip-report-long.html

I have come to the conclusion that with the diving I want to do, that I am disappointed in Sandals diving. Their operation is fine just "restrictive". If I can find the money to dive with an outside operation, I do it. There is nothing operationally wrong with Sandals diving.

If you think that this sort of diving suits you then by all means, do it - it's free (well, built into everyones cost). You might consider diving with Sandals and taking a day or two with an outside operation if you find a site or experience you want that Sandals doesn't offer. Definitely spend time talking to the DMs.

Lastly we have found they are very strict on their medical questionaire. I believe you can find that information on theire website. If you need to mark yes on ANY question, then you had better have a doctor write a letter per Sandals requirements. I can see this for any kind of health problem/illness however if for example, you get athletes foot, your doctor prescribes an antifungal (i.e. prescription vs OTC med) , and you mark yes to using a prescription, then you had better have a note. It's a bit much if you ask me (excepting contra-indicated issues).

Hello All,
We are going to Nassau in November and are looking for good all inclusive dive vacations. I understand that Sandals includes diving and am wondering if anyone has ever stayed there? Any opinions on this or other all inclusives to stay at?? :idk:

My husband and I are also heading to Sandals in November (11.19.2011); we have been to two other Sandals resorts, but not the one in the Bahamas. We are experienced divers and I know that the two other times we dove with Sandals (in St. Lucia) we made a point of making friends with the guy who runs the dive operation. The first couple of days we did some lame dives, but later, we went to better dive sites, including those further south by the Pitons. I am hoping to get a few decent dives in the Bahamas too. But ColoDale was absolutely correct on what diving at Sandals is like.

Like us, you will want to visit the dive shop the day you check in and let them know you want to visit the best dive sites possible. After they see you diving, it's been my experience that low maintenance divers (aka experienced divers) are treated differently - but lets hope that the week you and I go that one of two things happen - there are very few divers or a bunch of experienced folks!

Good luck!

Suzi

My boyfriend and I were just certified last November so beginner style dives are still okay with us. We will be taking our advanced course just before we leave though. We will be staying there from Nov6-15 so hoping the weather is nice. Can any of you suggest any outside operations that you would use? I am looking forward to this trip and would very much like to snorkel with the wild dolphins but do not think anywhere in nassau offers this.

My boyfriend and I were just certified last November so beginner style dives are still okay with us. We will be taking our advanced course just before we leave though. We will be staying there from Nov6-15 so hoping the weather is nice. Can any of you suggest any outside operations that you would use? I am looking forward to this trip and would very much like to snorkel with the wild dolphins but do not think anywhere in nassau offers this.

We dove with dolphins through UNEXSO in Freeport, which you can't do if you vacation on Nassau. I don't know much about snorkeling with dolphins in nassau. If you are staying at Sandals, diving is included. They also have tons of tours, including snorkeling, you can book online prior to your trip. We'll be at Sandals over Thanksgiving and will probably do as much diving as possible, when wer'e not relaxing at the resort. This wouldn't be my first choice for a dive vacation, but with the specials they had going for the week we booked (free airfare from CA - a biggie - and 65% off on the cost of the resort) it's a relatively inexpensive trip to the Caribbean for us; much cheaper than going on a cruise and we can dive!

Good luck on your trip! We've hosted Thanksgiving so many years in a row, we decided to take a leave of absence this family holiday and escape to the Bahamas. Gotta do what you gotta do!!

Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for. But my boyfriend and I went a live-aboard trip through Blackbeard's Cruises. It was awesome. It was a fantastic price for all that it offered. We were able to do 20 dives in 5 1/2 days! The crew is super and really hard working, good food, and a variety of diving sites offered. Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom