Sand in MX10 strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi!

I did a beach dive yesterday which was very sandy - sand everywhere. I got some sand caught between the camera and strobe of my MX10 and YB40. Managed to seperate the camera and strobe with some force, but now the locking mechanism on the strobe is jammed. There are 4 scres holding a plate in (tiny philips), any ideas if I take these off that I can get into the locking mechanism or is that in the sealed compartment?

Thank you Dee. I just emailed him.

That happened to me before too.

Sand got in between the strobe and the camera and I couldn't get the two apart to remove my film. I soaked the setup in water, swished it around and let it sit under a running faucet. Luckily, it worked and I could get the two apart. Since then I've always removed the strobe from the camera alomst immediately after the dive.

If Greg gives you any good adivce, please pass it on.

If you take a look at the strobe you will see there are 4 screws on the grey plate which goes over the red disconnect "switch." Take these 4 screws out (careful they are small) and the locking mechanism is a U shaped piece of red plastic with 2 springs glued to it. Remove this and you can clean everything out.

I tried subtle at first and then brute force, before I took the plate off. The amount of sand in there was miniscule in the extreme. I could barely see it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom