san tan valley, arizona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HeatCker

Contributor
Reaction score
i will be vacationing in san tan valley in january and february
getting away from the snow and cold here in ontario canada
is there any local diving or should i leave my gear at home
thanks guys

Probably the closest decent diving is Lake Pleasant north of Phoenix. Google puts it at 1:45 with traffic. Local divers shore dive there - you can find some of them in the top thread in this forum - I'm not one of them. Or www.arizonascuba.com - the header picture is the lake. LP Scuba also keeps a boat there - they're a shop north on the way to the lake.

Probably the closest shops to San Tan are No Limits Scuba in Chandler or El Mar or The Scuba Shop in Mesa. Contact info for all of them: Arizona Lds List - Last Update 3/2016

Bring the cold gear - in Jan/Feb the water could be in the 50's - it's fed by snowpack run-off from the high country north of town.

hth,

Last edited:
Lake Pleasant is the only decent local spot. There are a couple of boats that take divers out. Everything from open water checkout all the way up to 200'+ tech dives. Another one of those boats is Pleasantcharters.co
If you are willing to make more of a drive there is lake Mohave up in Laughlin. Drive a little further and you can be in San Diego or LA. But that is far enough away it isn't a day trip.

From here San Diego is an hour flight also. And you can get out into the Kelp there off Point Loma on a dayboat - actually some dive the Kelp and the Wreck Alley on the same day. La Jolla Cove is a world famous dive site also. www.divebums.com has details.

Another option is the Catalina Express Ferry to Catalina Island which has a marine preserve and shore dives and a couple of dive boat operations. It's so popular there's permanent steps into the water for divers. You can fly into Long Beach and cab to the ferry port for about $20-30. Aquarium of the Pacific is also worth a look while there.

Or fly into Orange County airport and stay/dive near Laguna Beach - several of the dive sites listed here (Heisler, Shaws, Diver's Cove) are nearby. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: California South, USA West
Beach Cities Scuba is one option in that area also - lots of local info on their site.

Boat dive options for the whole area - www.californiadiveboats.com

Last edited:
thanks again for all the links / info
looks like water temps in the lake will be in the 50-55 F range jan/feb
is there a daily fee / user fee to dive the lake
do most divers use 80's or 100 cu ft tanks

Just went through a bunch of dive logs. Expect temps around 55.
Tank size is a personal preference. AL80 are common. I run 100s as I tend to be a bit of a pig. Keeps me in line with most other people on 80s.
The county side (West side) is pay in an envelope instead of in person if you get there a bit early or a holiday. Plan on exact change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom