San Miguel, Azores

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Leahy

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi. I will likely be travelling to the island of San Miguel in the Azores next summer and would like to do some diving when i am there. Anyone have any suggestions for interesting dive sites or sources of information? Thanks.

Ed Leahy

Hi. I will likely be travelling to the island of San Miguel in the Azores next summer and would like to do some diving when i am there. Anyone have any suggestions for interesting dive sites or sources of information? Thanks.

Ed Leahy
Just finished 2 weeks here mixing diving and topside, used Best Spot dive centre - here's my review of them

A well run and very professional dive centre, very consistent safety briefings every day and a good summary of the dive site to be dived, firm but fair attitude which is always good to see. (Also based on my experience as a currently active Divemaster)
The boat carries circa 12 divers and splits into 2 groups each with their own guide so a good ratio, whilst I used my own gear and their 12 litre steel tanks the equipment they provided looked to be pretty new and was very good.
This centre was by far to the busiest along the harbour and based on my experience with them for good reason.
Most dive sites were within a 20 minute rib ride and a good number much closer, like all temperat water diving there was a lot of variety to see just not proffusions of it like you would get on a tropical reef system.
Nudibranch, morays and rays a plenty, barracuda, octopus, seahorses and much more fish life, the wreck Dori at 20 metres and over 100 metres long just 5 minutes away is fantastic, plenty of marine life and you could easily dive it 2 or 3 times.
The real jewel though is the off shore Formingas sea mounts, and although at least a 2 hour rib ride each way (though the ribs they use are very substantial and not too bouncy) the trip is well worth it.
The viz here is over 40 metres and probably the best I have ever experienced, you do get large palagics here and we were lucky enough to see Mobula Rays but if you want guaranteed Ray's then this is not somewhere you should plan to go. The real reason for me is the great viz, stunning light playing over the top of the sea mounts and the groupers, many are over 1 metre and not at all scared of divers and come right up to you to investigate and look you over, literally bumping into you.
Overall when combined with the great topside attractions on this island a great location for a diving holiday

Many thanks for the review! I haven't decided yet where to go next April.

Is the Princess Alice Bank accessible in spring? I would really like to venture out with some luck blue whales.

I went in June. Conditions improve more through summer. Although it's the middle of the Atlantic, so the weather can always change.
Visibility was quite ok!
I don't think it was the time for blue whales, but we saw sperm whales (not while going diving).

Thanks GRM. I have been in contact with them and our trip is a go. Looking forward to it.

Many thanks for the review! I haven't decided yet where to go next April.

Is the Princess Alice Bank accessible in spring? I would really like to venture out with some luck blue whales.
I think april will be to soon. Best months are september-october for diving Princess Alice, still it will be weather depended.

We dived with Best Spot (in April). The blue whales were out in the open sea. Not on the dive sites.

We just returned from the Azores (trip end of June-early July 2022) and were quite disappointed by the diving. I took a 5.5mm semi-dry wetsuit and needed a 5mm vest underneath...suffice it to say that 18C underwater felt more like 15C. Take a 7mm and a vest and a hood/headband. It's a VERY windy island on boat rides and you need to ensure your ears are not compromised.

In retrospect, I would not dive Sao Miguel again. The divers kept talking about Wahoo Diving on Santa Maria, which has an EXCELLENT reputation and does regular off-shore dives. We dove with the reputable operation mentioned above on Sao Miguel and though we signed up for and affirmed we'd pay for the spot, not enough divers showed up, so it was cancelled and we never went. After speaking to the dive guides who were there since March, they said they still haven't done an off-shore dive. Diving Sao Miguel is a mixed bag; cold, not many fish, some nice topography, cold, and zodiac rides (they also offer zodiac rides to off-shore locations---yes, a one way 3hr zodiac ride!). Next time we visit the Azores, we will be on Santa Maria.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom