San Juan PR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

myshadeofred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going for a 4 day weekend and staying in San Juan. Would like to know a great operator to go out with. I enjoy deep dives as well as shallow but would like to find a shop with a boat not too big.

Any advice would be great.

I do not speak Spanish.

Are you limited to San Juan or looking for information on the entire island?

We've been to Puerto Rico three times, each time flying into San Juan, but diving at three other locations: Rincon on the west coast and Desecheo Island; Playa Santa/Guanica to the south and the La Parguera Wall; and the island of Culebra off the east coast.

Each destination had its own charm and dive character.

Frankly, we have researched diving directly in the San Juan area, and find the opportunities to be pretty limited.

Please let me know if I can help you with any specific information.

Are you limited to San Juan or looking for information on the entire island?

We've been to Puerto Rico three times, each time flying into San Juan, but diving at three other locations: Rincon on the west coast and Desecheo Island; Playa Santa/Guanica to the south and the La Parguera Wall; and the island of Culebra off the east coast.

Each destination had its own charm and dive character.

Frankly, we have researched diving directly in the San Juan area, and find the opportunities to be pretty limited.

Please let me know if I can help you with any specific information.

Thank you for letting me know. I’m actually only there for a weekend and was wondering if it was possible to go to the other side of the island with it only being a short trip.

You are at least 2 hours from good diving, regardless of what or where, if you are looking for good diving.

Each of our trips we have either rented a car (Rincon and Guanica) and stayed several days or flew a puddle jumper (to Culebra) and stayed a couple of nights.

Our experience, from both research and then actual experience is that there is a higher probability of being able to dive (some ops won't take a boat out unless it is near full) if you pursue a Guanica trip. We used Island Scuba for the three days we dove there. Two of those days (I think) we were the only two on the boat, and one of the days, a dive guide out of San Juan had actually driven down with another couple.

The Guanica wall is amazing, with huge fields of Black Coral and extremely healthy reefs. There is Lionfish harvesting going on during the dives, though, and you have to be aware of the trailing sharks.

Scuba Dogs is at Escambron (sp) Park sort of near the cruise port. It's not great but it's wet - shallow shore dive. I believe they have a couple videos on FB.

Back
Top Bottom