San Fran diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crpntr133

lost, even with a compass
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Kelp Divers,

I am heading to San Francisco sometime around the forth of July. I'm thinking of bringing some of my gear and taking a charter. Any info on who to use and who not to would be appreciated. I would also need a dive shop to rent a little bit of gear, mainly dry suit or wet suit. I'm up for a shore dive if I could find a host to show me around. :)

Last edited:
You really can't dive in San Francisco. If you head to Monterey, or points up North you can get in a good dive. That said - I would drive the 2.5 + hrs to Monterey and get in my diving there which at times is world class. Especially at Pt. Lobos. There are a ton of reputable shops there that can rent you everything that you need.

X

Two things:

(1) Don't call it "San Fran." Instantly marks you as a tourist and grates on our nerves. Don't know why and it's likely not right, but that's the way it is.

(2) You're going to LOVE diving at Pt. Lobos. Best bet is to set up a led shore dive with Bruce, the owner of Aquarius Dive Shop on Del Monte Ave. in Monterey. He can set up with whatever gear you need and he really enjoys sharing the joys of Pt. Lobos with visiting divers.

I changed the title and corrected my spelling..thanks! So, is everybody "dude" in Cali?...lol j/k

I don't know that I will have enough time to head 2+ hours north. Transportation may be an issue as well. I don't need pristine waters I just want to get wet. If you saw some of the quarries that we dive in around the midwest, you would know that I really don't care. I did a Alaska dive and the deepest I got was 20', one of he best dives I have ever done.

Diving in S.F. Bay isn't just an issue of zero vis (& I mean total blackout), it's an issue of Great White Sharks (aka "the Landlord"). That's why almost no one does it.

Oh, Monterey is two hours SOUTH of San Francisco. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is well worth the time to get up early and head 2.5hrs south. HWY101 South/156 West/Hwy 1 south.

Make a long day, once in a lifetime experience.

Diving in S.F. Bay isn't just an issue of zero vis (& I mean total blackout), it's an issue of Great White Sharks (aka "the Landlord"). That's why almost no one does it.

Oh, Monterey is two hours SOUTH of San Francisco. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's also the issue of boat traffic and water quality. Considering UCSC does their rescue training a mile from Steamer lane, a known white shark siting place that's probably the more reasonable reason. Barges can't exactly take evasive maneuvers. :D

Back
Top Bottom