San Diego Shoredive, 3/30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phishphood

Contributor
Reaction score
Two of my buddies (no dive) are finally getting OW certified and I'm planning on heading down there that weekend to do one or two fun dives with them. Any suggestions for the time of year/skill level? I'm OW for a few years and have somewhere around 50 dives (not)logged. Most are Monterey area shoredives. I'm familiar enough with the SD area topside, but not so much diving. I was figuring on hoping for decent swell for Marine room to the left or LJ cove straight out. Any other input? good backup plan that's almost always diveable like the Breakwater @ Monterey?

Hi Mitch, I see nobody has responded to your question, that's typical here on ScubaBoard So Cal, there's a very small or strange group here, they don't respond unless you have professional grade images uploaded, sorry to say but that's my observation from the last 3 yrs. It's odd. I'm not from SD, but if you want to head to any where in between Laguna to North Santa Barbara area (especially Santa Monica Bay!!) I can help with any questions you have. Free Boat trips, and the best shore dives are what we do, we hit them all, and we share!! Go to Hardcore's web page, or facebook us, we're always going out! And we're not picky or the best, but we're hardcore dive team!!

I'll attempt to answer your question, in this weather we have more of a NW swell action, sometimes it doesn't seem right, as energy can be coming from the SW and even small energy from SE if you can believe that!! but as far as skill level, you having 50 dives around Monterey area and shoredives at that, your good to go anywhere at any time of year! If it's big swells 3'+ head a few miles to another spot!! Ask Power Scuba if you are in SD, they are the coolest and active dive (biggest) group maybe anywhere! Talk to Bill Powers, if conditions are not the best, chances are he's got a wholesale boat trip going to the best spot around!! Trust me, your best bet is to call Bill Powers of Power Scuba or anyone of the 100s in his active group!! Best of all, have fun diving!

H2Ocean gave you some good advice (although I disagree strongly with their representation of the members of the So Cal forum). Power Scuba has their own forum here and might give you some better feedback since that is their backyard. Good luck!

Last edited:
Not to thread hijack, but it does seem like the SoCal thread is one of the quieter ones. It is weird considering we have a lot of coastline...not sure why that's the case though.

I'll join in. LJ Shores is a very fun spot to dive because there are so many ways to go about it. My 'go-to' dive is simply to head straight out from the restrooms in front of Vallecitos Point and dive the main wall. There's lots of stuff to be seen out on the shelf and you'll get a few cool sightings if you're lucky (Mola, etc.). This link here will give you a pretty good idea of what you can do out at the shores, as well as some pointers for planning your dive:

Divebums - A San Diego Dive Website

If swells are low you can go for the Marine Room, it sounds like you're familiar with the site. If they're up a bit you can still have a wonderful dive out at the point or the north wall. Personally, I've never had a clear dive at the Marine Room; I don't know if the conditions for good vis are just too specific or if I have bad joojoo at that side of the beach.

Thanks for the help guys. Anyone able to chime in on how deep the main wall is straight out of Vallecitos and/or how deep the top of the point is?

I don't remember the exact depth, somewhere around 60 to 80 ft you'll start to get some good slope to the bottom. Do you really want to take a few freshly certified divers into the canyon??? Keep them a little shallower so they can stay down a little longer. Go to La Jolla Cove and swim straight out and maybe a little west. Swim out on the surface until you think you are in about 200 ft of water. That should put you in about 40 ft of water. While still catching your breath at the surface, set your compass back to the Cove. Now go to the bottom and follow the compass heading. There is no "back-up" plan better than the rocky beaches of La Jolla, unless you can get a boat to the Coronado Islands or Catalina. If the conditions don't look good, just stay out, especially with new divers.

Depending on the tide, the top of the canyon wall starts at around 50 fsw (straight out from the bathrooms at Valecitos St), ~150 yards offshore.

Bill

Thanks Bill & Stanky. Wasn't sure how deep the canyon was and now I pretty much figured I don't want to take them that deep yet. Depending on swell I'll probably do LJ Cove or Marine room shallow stuff then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom