San Diego Quickie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weboflies

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have an evening and the following morning free in San Diego the middle of next week. Any suggestions on diving options? Sites with an abundance of interesting sea life? Operators?

I have an evening and the following morning free in San Diego the middle of next week. Any suggestions on diving options? Sites with an abundance of interesting sea life? Operators?

If you are coming to San Diego the best place to dive is at La Jolla. You can either go to the La jolla Cove, which shouldn't be to bad to find parking at about 7 to 8 in the morning, or also the Marine Room or canyon at La Jolla shores. Conditions might become better sometime next week perhaps tuesday/wednsday. Vis has not been to good because of the recent swell activity. They have foretasted a lull sometime next week, lets hope it we get it. The vis is usually pretty good at the canyon at La Jolla shores, even when other areas are not as good,the North wall seems to be the best for clarity and plenty of holes and areas for sea life along this canyon wall. Usually between 60 to 80 feet vis gets better. It would be good to have a video light if you want to record the sea life. I have seen lots of cool sea life there. Octupus, eels in the holes. Occasionally a giant black sea bass can follow you around. It can be pretty cool. I have had huge shoal of mackeral come down and surround me and my dive buddy as they came to check out our lights, and we were at 75 feet when that happened! If you need to rent some gear or get your tanks filled the House of Scuba will be nearest shop to this dive site.

Contact & Store Locations - House of Scuba - Scuba diving equipment, scuba gear, diving wetsuits, snorkel.

You can check out the different dive clubs or meet up groups in San Diego and see who is going out at that time.
Have fun out there hope the vis is good next week!

Divebums - A San Diego Dive Website might help. There's also IB Divers/La Jolla and the Sports Chalet/UTC that are close. Sport Chalet will open late though as it's a sporting goods chain so it would be better to rent from the night before if possible.

Me personally - even mid-week in Oct. I'd get to the Cove by 7 or so to find parking along the park. It's really limited. http://sandiegophotos.net/san_diego_aerial_photos_g52-la_jolla_cove_aerial_view_p1217.html
All the parking is public and they have excellent parking enforcement, (I swear that curb wasn't red when I parked there..)

The Shores has a bigger parking lot but IMO the Cove is a lot better dive. The most interesting thing about the Shores is what you may see in the canyon just offshore.

If "morning" is 9AM-3PM there's Waterhorse Charters - Charter Boat Schedule
With 22/22 spots still open this week, there's a decent chance it'll cancel. Check with them but that calendar is usually pretty current.

Lois Ann has no mid-week trips next week.
Maybe check Hydro Diver also. http://www.hydrodiver.com/

If you have Thursday night free - Power Scuba does a weekly dive at the Shores. Power Scuba: San Diego Scuba Diving (and Beyond) (La Jolla, CA) - Meetup

Last edited:
All this info is really great. Thanks guys. I am just now realizing that water temp might be an issue. I haven't done my dry suit course yet...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom